How to Make an Easy Coat Rack for a Tiny Entryway

My LA apartment has a tiny entryway - it so small that there's barely enough room for the door to open all the way! Without a closet nearby, I had to get creative to find a way to hang coats and purses right by the front door but still leave room for the front door to open fully. Being a renter, I also wanted to find a way to do that without having to put any holes in the wall. My solution was to make a coat rack using 1"x3" pine boards that's sits flush to the wall and that rests on the floor!
The first thing I did was cut the boards - you can have them cut at the hardware store or use a miter box and saw like I did. This short video shows you how easy it is to use: http://www.engineeryourspace.com/how-to-use-a-miter-box-and-saw-to-cut-wood-diy-basics/
The first thing I did was cut the boards - you can have them cut at the hardware store or use a miter box and saw like I did.
This short video shows you how easy it is to use a miter box and saw.
Then I sanded the boards and stained them using a semi-transparent stain from Behr in a color called Tugboat.
Next I drilled pilot holes and attached the horizontal boards to the long vertical boards with wood screws and then attached the hooks.
Because the coat rack has legs that rest on the floor, all I needed to do to attach the coat rack to the wall was use 3M velcro command strips (they won't leave any residue on the wall when you take them off). All the weight of what I hang on the coat rack rests on the legs and the velcro strips prevents it from falling over. This way, there's no need to put any holes in the wall for wall anchors.
This video shows the whole entryway makeover, along with a few tricks on how to hang a mirror with keyholes.
This coat rack has been a wonderful addition to my tiny entryway that I couldn't live without!

Engineer Your Space

• Cheryl Skala

where did U get the hooks?? did u screw them on from the back?

• Engineer Your Space

The hooks are from IKEA but they don't make them anymore unfortunately.

• Leslie

Cheryl, you could easily make those with molding or even dowels. The square moulding or round dowel could be for the part you attach to the back. Then you would cut half round moulding and attach with liquid nails to the back piece. Hope I am clear on this :)

• Robbie

Won't the paint come off when you take the velcro off? or more ?

• Katie

@Robbie these are command strips. I use them to hang everything in my house. Occasionally they have taken paint off when I removed one but that's usually only if they don't pull down like they are supposed to or if the paint was not fully cured when I hung the item originally.

• Artemis

It is important to remove the hooks/tapes per directions. If you yank them off the wall it will pull off the paint and possibly the top layer of paper on your drywall. I have also been able to successfully remove them by rolling the tape off the wall but following directions is a better process.
  • Tammy Bauer

Did you make the hooks, too?

• Sandra Verrier

Why didn't you just use Command hooks? That's what we did. Company loves hanging their stuff behind the door, so convenient. We've only had 1 or 2 pop off in the summer humidity, but with new sticky backings (they give you spare) it's good to go again. No I don't work for them, just love hanging stuff everywhere.

• Artemis

This is the perfect resolution for me. I don't have a coat closet by the front door, but this would fit on the wall adjacent to the door without obstructing the door opening. Thanks!
  • Karen

I’m inspired by your coatrack. Those round ones take up so much room! I also want to make a similar version for the bathrooms as towel racks.