Upcycled Jeans Sunglasses Case With Handy Pocket

The sun is shining and my shades have come out. I'm fed up of damaging my sunglasses when I'm not wearing them, so decided to design a really handy case for them made from upcycled jeans. Mind you, this is no ordinary sunglasses case. As well as looking great it sports a killer, pocket feature for items such as money and cards.
This project is easy to make and uses the often neglected part of upcycled jeans, the front pocket. When nipping out to the park or the local cafe, I just take my sunglasses in the case instead of lugging my whole handbag out with me. Theses cases also make a great handmade gift.
Firstly you need to cut out a 22cm square of lining fabric, wadding and jeans pocket. I make a 22cm square cardboard template and use this to cut the fabrics with a rotary cutter. When placing over the jeans make sure you get all of the front pocket whilst moving the pocket lining out the way so that it doesn't get cut as well.
Round off the bottom of all your pieces of fabric and then pin them right sides together.
Sew round the edges of the fabric leaving the top open. Turn right sides out, sew across the top. Then fold in half length ways and sew down the side. For full details visit the blog post below.
These sunglasses cases are really useful with the handy extra pockets for your keys or phones. I have made quite a few as gifts for both Men and Women. It's a handy way to upcycle someone's old jeans and you can even use an old shirt for the lining. The pockets of old jeans are really useful and I have used them for many crafts such as my iphone denim pocket pillow and my popular denim pocket organiser.

• Front Pocket of an old pair of jeans
  • Scrap fabric for lining
  • Needle and thread

Claire at Pillarboxblue

• Tammi Eisenbraun

How are you finishing the case? The waistband at the top is very thick & my machine cannot sew through it. Are you finishing by hand?

• Mickey Baron

I can't sew to save my derrière! Sweet idea though, you could sell these like crazy!

• Claire at Pillarboxblue

@Mickey B. & Boo Boo Thank you, they are very popular with friends and family. Casey above says she's going to glue them you could try that.

• Linda

I just love your projects, and I especially like this one. I have a hard time letting go of my old Levi's and will certainly try your ideas. Thanks for inspiring us. :)