Juliet W
Juliet W
  • Cincinnati, OH
Asked on Apr 7, 2012

I want to start an asparagus bed, when in the season is a good time and where to get good info on how to do this?

David OgdenJuliet WDouglas Hunt
+3

I know a very little bit, so i need to start form the bginning

You are coming up on prime time for planting asparagus in Ohio, Juliet. Follow these directions from Ohio State University Extension: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1603.html Because an asparagus bed is a long-term investment, make sure you get a soil test first so you know you're putting the bed in the right place.

• Evelyn R

Make sure it is out of the way of anything that might interfere with it. Planted mine at the end of our large veggie garden, never thinking about the field next to it. When that farmer sprayed for weeds, it killed my whole bed.

• Juliet W

Thank you so much!!!!

You're welcome, Juliet. It will be a while before you can harvest any, but there's nothing like your own asparagus.

• Juliet W

I know, I love them, and always wanted to grow my own, I shall start a bed this year and the website that you left the link to was GREAT, very helpful and all the info that I needed.

• David Ogden

Plant the roots about a foot deep with plenty of manure mixed in the soil and do not harvest at least for two years. The wait will be well rewarded