DIY Wooden Crate Shoe Rack

I created a cool vintage-looking shoe and boot rack to tame the chaos in my entryway out of unfinished wooden crates. It was easy!
I stained 6 basic unfinished wooden crates from Michael's with Dark Walnut stain by Minwax.
After I stained the crates, I screwed them together and added casters so it would be easy to sweep underneath. I also installed 4 hooks on the side to hold our car keys.
I distressed the wood and added a vintage French graphic from The Graphics Fairy.
Order has been restored! Having an organized spot to put everything makes us less inclined to use the area as a dumping ground and it’s definitely a more pleasant sight when we walk in the door.
For all the details on how I did it, please visit my blog.

Julie Briggs

• CeeJay

Love this idea. What size are the crates?

• Darci

I don't have a tape measure with me, but I'll approximate...10 "h X 12 w X 17 L 9.99 right now @ Michael's

• Anna

10" is not deep enough - the shoes are sticking out. I think it is a great idea, but I would need deeper crates. Are those available anywhere?

• Hotheadzmarine.williamson

where do you get these crates??

• Angela johnson

Did you seal the crates?

• Cindy Englehart Cook

would love to do this but wondering how stable it would be with 3 indoor cats :) ...maybe locking wheels might help stability..or maybe if I did double sided it would have deeper base to prevent tipping?

• Julie Briggs

It seems pretty stable, but I don't have cats. :-) I think locking wheels are a great idea.

• Jane mckenzie

I live in earthquake country so we would put 2 screws in back about 1 foot down.Then anchors go in wall to line up then take clear fishing line and wind around all 4 screws.Cat proof and hopefully holds in earthquake

• Sheryl

I must ask where you got you light fixture shown at the very top picture? I love it and would love to replace one I have with it!

• Julie Briggs

It's actually a combination of 2 lights - I wrote about it in my blog post and links are included. The base of the fixture had a glass globe and the longer Edison bulb wouldn't fit. I added a cage style pendant shade.

• Joyce

Home Depot carries some. I also ordered some from Wayfair I think.

• Joann Urban

How did you distress the wood?

• Laura Siebrecht

How did you keep the screws from showing, did you apply any wood glue. I am fixing to build this but my crates are two different sizes and smaller than yours. I plan on making one the size of yours but will start with a smaller one first
  • Marivan

I, too, want to know how you hid the screws....

• DKW

What was the cost and the time required to do this project?

• Cathie Sprouse

I found the crates at WalMart for $10 each. I looked at several but the ones at WalMart had corner supports that made it sturdier. They were also the lowest price. You'll need wood screws that are 1 1/2 inches. The size depends on the width of the wood used for the crates. I used 4 for each crate and screwed them together from the inside so they didn't show. Since I was using mine for a fish tank I also added corner braces on the back and 2 pieces of wood on top and bottom for added stability. How much it costs depends primarily on how many crates you choose to use. I put mine together in 2 hours using a drill with a screwdriver bit.

• Wat21027051

Love this!! Moving and losing built-in shelving, so this solves my problem. Thank you for sharing!!

• Coo33031253

amazing idea.Thanks for sharing