DIY Wooden Crate Shoe Rack

I created a cool vintage-looking shoe and boot rack to tame the chaos in my entryway out of unfinished wooden crates. It was easy!
diy wooden crate shoe rack, diy, foyer, organizing, painted furniture, storage ideas, woodworking projects
I stained 6 basic unfinished wooden crates from Michael's with Dark Walnut stain by Minwax.
After I stained the crates, I screwed them together and added casters so it would be easy to sweep underneath. I also installed 4 hooks on the side to hold our car keys.
I distressed the wood and added a vintage French graphic from The Graphics Fairy.
Order has been restored! Having an organized spot to put everything makes us less inclined to use the area as a dumping ground and it’s definitely a more pleasant sight when we walk in the door.
For all the details on how I did it, please visit my blog.
Julie Briggs

• Laura Siebrecht

How did you keep the screws from showing, did you apply any wood glue. I am fixing to build this but my crates are two different sizes and smaller than yours. I plan on making one the size of yours but will start with a smaller one first

• Mar25103308

I, too, want to know how you hid the screws....

• Dwe27792291

What was the cost and the time required to do this project?

• Cathie Sprouse

I found the crates at WalMart for $10 each. I looked at several but the ones at WalMart had corner supports that made it sturdier. They were also the lowest price. You'll need wood screws that are 1 1/2 inches. The size depends on the width of the wood used for the crates. I used 4 for each crate and screwed them together from the inside so they didn't show. Since I was using mine for a fish tank I also added corner braces on the back and 2 pieces of wood on top and bottom for added stability. How much it costs depends primarily on how many crates you choose to use. I put mine together in 2 hours using a drill with a screwdriver bit.