DIY Wooden Crate Shoe Rack

I created a cool vintage-looking shoe and boot rack to tame the chaos in my entryway out of unfinished wooden crates. It was easy!
diy wooden crate shoe rack, diy, foyer, organizing, painted furniture, storage ideas, woodworking projects
I stained 6 basic unfinished wooden crates from Michael's with Dark Walnut stain by Minwax.
After I stained the crates, I screwed them together and added casters so it would be easy to sweep underneath. I also installed 4 hooks on the side to hold our car keys.
I distressed the wood and added a vintage French graphic from The Graphics Fairy.
Order has been restored! Having an organized spot to put everything makes us less inclined to use the area as a dumping ground and it’s definitely a more pleasant sight when we walk in the door.
For all the details on how I did it, please visit my blog.
Julie Briggs

• CeeJay

Love this idea. What size are the crates?

• Mts5244415

I don't have a tape measure with me, but I'll approximate...10 "h X 12 w X 17 L 9.99 right now @ Michael's

• Anna

10" is not deep enough - the shoes are sticking out. I think it is a great idea, but I would need deeper crates. Are those available anywhere?

• where do you get these crates??

• Angela johnson

Did you seal the crates?

• Cindy Englehart Cook

would love to do this but wondering how stable it would be with 3 indoor cats :) ...maybe locking wheels might help stability..or maybe if I did double sided it would have deeper base to prevent tipping?

• Julie Briggs

It seems pretty stable, but I don't have cats. :-) I think locking wheels are a great idea.

• Jane mckenzie

I live in earthquake country so we would put 2 screws in back about 1 foot down.Then anchors go in wall to line up then take clear fishing line and wind around all 4 screws.Cat proof and hopefully holds in earthquake

• Sheryl

I must ask where you got you light fixture shown at the very top picture? I love it and would love to replace one I have with it!

• Julie Briggs

It's actually a combination of 2 lights - I wrote about it in my blog post and links are included. The base of the fixture had a glass globe and the longer Edison bulb wouldn't fit. I added a cage style pendant shade.

• Joyce

Home Depot carries some. I also ordered some from Wayfair I think.

• Joann Urban

How did you distress the wood?

• Laura Siebrecht

How did you keep the screws from showing, did you apply any wood glue. I am fixing to build this but my crates are two different sizes and smaller than yours. I plan on making one the size of yours but will start with a smaller one first

• Mar25103308

I, too, want to know how you hid the screws....

• Dwe27792291

What was the cost and the time required to do this project?

• Cathie Sprouse

I found the crates at WalMart for $10 each. I looked at several but the ones at WalMart had corner supports that made it sturdier. They were also the lowest price. You'll need wood screws that are 1 1/2 inches. The size depends on the width of the wood used for the crates. I used 4 for each crate and screwed them together from the inside so they didn't show. Since I was using mine for a fish tank I also added corner braces on the back and 2 pieces of wood on top and bottom for added stability. How much it costs depends primarily on how many crates you choose to use. I put mine together in 2 hours using a drill with a screwdriver bit.