Jan L
Jan L
  • Monroe, WI

My mosaic pieces.

I create mosaics out of cast off furniture, some of which is cosmetically flawed. I use cut-up china dishes, stained glass and other objects. This art form is called Pique Assiette and I'm self-taught. I do commission work and sell my pieces in galleries. Here are some pieces.
This is a commission piece I did for a woman.  This table was her grandmother's and the top was not in the best of shape.  She wanted it painted white and told me to do any design I wanted out of pastel colors.  When she came to look at it, she was overwhelmed because one of the dishes (unbeknownst to me) was some identical dishes that her grandmother had.
This is a commission piece I did for a woman. This table was her grandmother's and the top was not in the best of shape. She wanted it painted white and told me to do any design I wanted out of pastel colors. When she came to look at it, she was overwhelmed because one of the dishes (unbeknownst to me) was some identical dishes that her grandmother had.
This is a curio cabinet that is heavy and sets on a table.  It is made out of beautiful china, stained glass, and kiln-fired butterfly designs.
This is a curio cabinet that is heavy and sets on a table. It is made out of beautiful china, stained glass, and kiln-fired butterfly designs.
This is a long (48") bench that I painted and then created with china dishes, glass mosaic gems, and stained glass.  I left much of the blue top exposed for interest.
This is a long (48") bench that I painted and then created with china dishes, glass mosaic gems, and stained glass. I left much of the blue top exposed for interest.
This was originallly a silver hammered aluminum lazy susan which I painted and then designed with china dishes and stained glass.
This is wooden bed tray that a woman had me do for her.  Her daughter is named Rose and she wanted a Rose theme with not too many roses.  She also wanted it whimsical.
This is wooden bed tray that a woman had me do for her. Her daughter is named Rose and she wanted a Rose theme with not too many roses. She also wanted it whimsical.

• Did you lay the cupboard down to do the mosaic work witch I think is just beautiful

• Jan L

Yes, I did. Thank you for your nice compliment.

• Lisa c st

What type of cement and sealer do you use?

• Jan L

I use Weldbond to glue the pieces down on to the surface. I use sanded grout after the glue has been down for 12 hours. I spray everything with silicone sealer one week after the grout has been on.

• Donna

Are these pcs waterproof after spraying with Silicone?

• Jan L

A silicone spray will protect from water. The pieces on here are for indoor use because I use Weldbond as the glue. For outdoor use, use silicone adhesive. Hope this answers your questions. If you would like my instructions, just send me an e-mail to GardengirlA1@yahoo.com

• Melba Jean Dobson

i would love for you to show how you do this ! it's just gorgeous !

• Jan L

Thank you all for your wonderful comments. It brings pleasure to me to see people inspired to want to try this wonderful art form. Let me know if I can help you create them. I wrote instructions for my students that I am willing to share. If you want them, just write to me at GardengirlA1@yahoo.com

• Felicia

Absolutly beautiful!!!