Homemade Topsy Turvy Bags/ Hanging Plastic Bottle Planters

$0

I decided to try my hand at making some new hanging planters from recycled 3 liter soda bottles and this is what I came up with.I was going to go buy some new ones but after I put a little thought into it, I think my hanging 3 liter soda bottles are going to work just fine.I have been saving the bottles for quite some time now so I decided to use them.I only used the bottom 3/4's of the bottles.I saved the top portions to make some hanging seedling containers and I will post pics of those after I get them made.These hanging planters didn't cost me anything because I already had everything that I needed to make them.I did make drain holes in the bottoms by snipping the bottoms of the bottles with a wire cutter.I used a black metal 4 plate holder to hang the pepper plants on and I just nailed it onto this tree because that area gets the most sunshine everyday.
This is 3 strawberry plants and 3 pepper plants hanging on a 2 hook/doubled Shepherds hook.
This pic is 8 pepper plants hanging on a 4 plate black metal rack that I turned upside down so the plants wouldn't be sitting right on top of each other.
This pic is a close up of the 8 pepper plants that I hung from the 4 plate rack turned upside down.

• Jackieblue

Why is there always someone who has to be negative about every thing people try to do. If you feel that strongly about plastic just don't use it and keep your remarks to yourself. I think it is a wonderful idea. I have grown most of my plants in plastic this year it is very frugal and smart

• Peggy

I ride around with water in bottles in my car all the time and now I am questioning whether it is safe or not. Temperatures in the summer do get hot in the car co is the water safe to drink or not?

• Paulette

You can skip this part, just go to next paragraph. I haven't read the comments but I imagine someone said that we'll poison ourselves with plastic. I always told my mom when she worried about dying, You have to die of something. Sounds heartless, but it is true. Plastic and toxins are in all air, soil and water, even in remote reaches of the earth. Get over it, live the life you have. The worry will rob you of life now, or maybe later. Enough said.
    I really like the plastic planters. I would just try to use something sturdier than plastic hangers. The UV might weaken them in the sun and drop the planter when the plant is heavy. Maybe get short lengths of metal chain, the hardware store will cut it, and run from black plant holder through red ropes. If hanger fails, plants won't hit the ground. Also replace the red rope yearly. I am always chasing around my yard trying to find enough sun. So I have my plastic tub planters on wheeled carts, to adjust to just the right spot, as the trees around me grow a little every year. I use plastic buckets and hoses to water and fertilize. I use rainwater from my plastic rainbarrel. I cut the veggies on my plastic cutting board. LOL But the taste of the first fresh tomato of the year- Priceless!