SPiT STAiNED GLASS

$20
1 Day

I find goodies on the side of the road, ready for the trash all the time. Never fails that I come across a window or two. I usually sell them on my local Pinteresters Tribe K.C. Swap & Shop on Facebook because I am just not a sign maker. That's about all I have ever really seen done with them. It just isn't my thing. But, I wanted to try something... So, I stepped out of MY BOX and tried something new...STAiNED GLASS! In this post I give you step by step instructions on how to take an ordinary, single pane window and turn it into a piece of art that will sell within hours if you don't decide to keep it for your own!

spit stained glass, crafts, decoupage, how to, repurposing upcycling

First thing I did was search google for stained glass images to get some ideas. I came across this KOi FiSH and it really caught my eye. So I printed him out!

Next I cleaned my window really well with alcohol and scraped off any peeling paint from the frame and any gunk around the glass edge. Next I spray painted the frame with Hammered Silver then coated it with Elmer's Glue. While the glue was wet I brushed Midnight's Blackness Unicorn SPiT Gel Stain over it and hit with my blower on high heat/ full blast to dry it. This gave a crackled finish. Looked pretty cool with the silver popping out of the black! I then sealed that with some spray clear coat and I was ready to go. (Be sure to tape off your glass to keep it clean while you fancy up your frame)

I find lots of broken frames that have glass with a few chips when out hunting too. These work great for my projector. Grabbed a piece and traced my design on the glass with a Sharpie Permanent Marker. You can use it over and over again! Of course you can always use transparency film.

Grab a piece, put your print out under the glass or film and traced your design on the glass or film with a Sharpie Permanent Marker. After you're done with this project you can put it back safely into its frame or folder so you can use it over and over again!

Once the design was completely traced out like a page out of a coloring book, it was ready to be placed on the projector.

Place some paper on one side of the glass on your window. This is to help you place your projected design to be traced with accuracy.

Take your piece of glass or transparency film down to the projector surface. This insures it from moving and improves accuracy.

Sit your window against a wall at a comfortable working height and make sure it's secure. Turn off the lights, turn on your projector, adjust your projector closer or further away from your window till your image fits the glass area. Start tracing the image on the window pane with your Sharpie Permanent Marker.

Once your design is traced on your window with permanent marker, go over the permanent marker with Allure Dimensional Paint. This is like the Leading stuff you can buy for this same process, but it not as expensive, doesn't crack due to heat or cold and is super shiny! This product is easy to use too. It come out like frosting in a piping tip and doesn't run.

Now you have your design outlined in Allure Dimensional Paint, go around the edges where the glass meets the frame. This gives it a real finished look. Since Allure Dimensional Paint doesn't run or drip, you can now turn your window over and start coloring in your design while the allure Dimensional Paint dries.

Use an artists paint brush to apply Mod Podge to the window pane. Do a light coating and allow it to dry. You can even use brush strokes following the pattern to give added texture. Movement brush strokes such as arches for the scales, fans for petals and wavy lines for water areas are a great added little attention to detail that can really make your piece shine.

You will know your Mod Podge is dry once it is clear. Doesn't take long and as soon as that happens you are ready to SPiT! That's right! SPiT! As in Unicorn SPiT Gel Stain! This versatile product can be used on just about anything and replaces so many products at a fraction of the price. This is an application we use the Unicorn SPiT at full strength NOT diluted. You can even mix the colors as you would any oil paint or acrylic to get beautiful 2 tones to make delicate petals and waves.

Use your artists brush to mix custom colors, sprinkle a little glitter in, layer a little blue over the white, be creative! After you have completely colored in your design with Unicorn SPiT Gel Stain, allow it to dry. Unicorn SPiT will dry to a chalky like finish. Once you see this chalky like finish you are free to clear coat it with any OIL BASED SEALER. Clear coat will clear the foggy, chalky like finish and make the Unicorn SPiT Gel Stain as vibrant as it was when it was wet! For glass I prefer Minwax Spray Lacquer. It dries very fast, leave a glossy finish with just two coats!

Once the clear coat is dry, you will be able to see the lines of the Allure Dimensional Paint from the other side. Follow those same lines on this side of the glass, right over your sealed Unicorn SPiT with the Allure Dimensional Paint. This makes it so both sides have the appearance of leaded stained glass and can be displayed hanging in a window. Beautiful from BOTH sides!

After I was done with this project I stood back, looked at it and I was just in awe. I couldn't believe how beautiful it turned out. I had my Koi Fish sitting in my window for a few weeks and just admired it. I decided that I would bring it down to my Gallery in the West Bottoms in Kansas City Missouri located in the PiNK DAiSY and let others see yet another crazy thing Unicorn SPiT Gel Stain could do. Put $200 price tag on it thinking no one would ever pay that much for a silly little 24 inch by 12 inch SPiT STAiNED WiNDOW and I could admire it for a long time. Well, 6 hours after hanging it up on the brick wall in the gallery area a little lady who never even heard of Unicorn SPiT before saw it, had the girls pull it down off the wall and toted it home. I couldn't believe it! NOW I have to make another window! LOL!!! Thank you for reading my post today! I hope this SPiT STAiNED GLASS WiNDOW iNSPiRES you to let your CREATiVE JUiCES flow! THiNK out of the BOX! There's a buncha awesome ways to use Unicorn SPiT Gel Stain, from wood, metal, canvas, fabric, now GLASS! It's the most versitile product and surprises me more and more everyday!

For more creative and colorful upcycling ideas be sure to join our group of functional artists on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/groups/unicornspitgelstains/ and come join our SPiT FAMiLY!

See more at www.MichelleNicoles.com

To see more: //www.MichelleNicoles.com

• Kristina Tackett

This is awesome, how do you get secure the glass in the frame so that you can look from both sides?
    • Susie

She used a window which is already secured into a frame. The photo showing a picture frame is the glass she uses with her projector to enlarge the drawing.

• Robyn Garner

Could this survive hung outdoors in high heat?

• Patricia
      30 minutes ago

It might if you use a clear coat over it, but if you place it in direct Sun all day, the colors would probably fade. They do here in Arizona. The Sun is just brutal. It destroys everything.

• Bonnie

So if I'm getting this right? You traced it on the back of glass or front, and I think you painted it on the front. Please clear up my confusion. I wasn't sure as you mentioned about turning the window over. Thank You Bonnie. P.S Love this and want to try.

• Rcl7607195

Beautiful! Think I'll try a small frame/glass to gain a little confidence. Thanks for sharing!

• Jim

I am sure you are making this project look simpler than it is, beautiful work!