Yael Valencia
Yael Valencia
  • Pompano Beach, FL

DIY (Faux) Mercury Glass in Any Color

$32
1 Day

This is my favoooooooorite project and I guess people agree because it has been my most popular post. The second I saw DIY (Faux) mercury glass. I had one question how can I do it in blue? I needed it to be waterproof because if I have a pretty vase I want to puy water in it. I figured it out how to do it using a hard to find glass paint called Pebeo Vitrea 160. The outcome was gorgeous but Looking Glass paint, the other paint need in the project, is also hard to find. No worries, I have links to but what you need on amazon. Check out the tutorial.
diy faux mercury glass in any color, crafts
Get you supplies. Pebeo Vitrea in the color of your choice and the thinner. Both are available on amazon
you will also need paper towel, krylon looking glass and a spray bottle with 50% vinegar and water

Prepare you glass. clean with with alcohol and a paper towel to get rid and any lint. You are going to Color your glass. Mix your Pebeo Vitrea 160 with thinner and paint the outside of your glass piece. I use about a large art brush, apply a thin layer and work quickly. If you want it to be waterproof bake in for 40 minutes in an over @ 325. If you don't need it to be waterproof you can skip the baking.
Now you will paint you glass piece. First clean it with alcohol and a paper towel to get rid of any link. Next mix the glass paint with the thinner until it is slightly thicker than water. You will then paint a thin layer on the outside of your glass piece with this mixture. I use a large art brush and work quickly (the paint thickens). Let the glass completely dry for 24 hours. You can handle your piece after about 2 hours. If you want your painted piece to be waterproof you will bake it in the oven for 40 minutes at 325. If you don't care about waterproofing you can skip the oven.
Now now it's time to add the faux mercury finish. Take your painted piece and spray it with your 50% 50% mixture of water and vinegar until the water beads and is running. Then spray your looking glass paint. Wait about a minute (it dries very quickly) and then blot with a paper towel. I do one thin layer. The paint is silver and will cover you colored glass completely if you use too much. Viola! you now have a piece of faux mercury glass in almost any color

• Pebeo Vitrea 160 paint and thinner  (amazon.com)
  • Looking Glass paint  (amazon.com)
Yael Valencia

• Grandma GiGi

Ok so this is NOT a how-to. Very frustrating. Beautiful, wish I knew how....

• Yael Valencia

I have updated the post with step by step instructions and refreshed the link to the post on my blog

• Debbie weimer

Send instructions Pleezeeeeee!!!