Shelly
Shelly
  • Middletown, CA

Here's a Quilt I Made From My Husband's Old Jeans

My husband had a stack of old jeans that were just taking up space so I decided to make them into a quilt. This is an I Spy quilt, all the fabrics are different, no repeats. It's also a rag quilt because the edges are frayed.
I have a more detailed tutorial on my website. HangryFork.com
here s a quilt i made from my husbands old jeans, crafts, how to, repurposing upcycling, reupholster
I cut pairs of jeans open along the seams. I used a pasta bowl and sharpie to trace circles onto the inside of old jeans.
I cut out the circles using a nice sharp pair of scissors.
I figured out what size square would fit inside the circle and made a templete out of a manila file.
I marked the square on the wrong side of half the denim circles. I sewed circles into rows.
Before I sewed the rows together, I used a ruler to join the square markings on half the rows. This is my sewing line.
I then joined all the rows together. I pressed the seams open like you see below.
Before I started this sewing project I ordered I Spy pre cut fabric squares from ebay.
I pinned the fabric squares to the denim. I did this on the ironing board and slid an acrylic ruler under the quilt to avoid pinning to the ironing board cover.
Then, I stitched down the flaps using the presser foot edge as my guide. I did the stitching in long rows. I did all the horizontal stitching and then did the vertical stitching. It goes surprisingly fast.
This is what the quilt looked like at this stage.
Next, I attached the binding. My daughter picked out this funky yellow fabric.
I carefully clipped the seam allowance and tossed the quilt in the washing machine. I washed it twice, cleaning out the lint from the washing machine in between cycles. When the quilt was in the dryer, there was a TON of lint and I cleaned out the dryer vent several times while the quilt was drying.

• Denim  (My closet)
  • Cotton Squares  (eBay)
Shelly

• Jeanne darner

Did you make a throw or a bed spread? If bed spread how many circles would you use for a twin?

• Shelly

I made an extra long twin. Sizes will vary depending on the size of bowl you use. It’s been two years since I made this quilt and I do not recall how many circles I used.

Measure the square that’ll fit inside of the bowl and that’ll give you an idea of how many circles you’ll need for whatever size quilt you are going to make. Good luck!

• Mary

I'm interested in making this project. Just curious: what is the diameter of the circles?

• Shelly

The pasta bowl I used is 8.5". The finished square is about 5.75". You could use any sized bowl you want to use.

• App41240845

I'm going to be making this 🤗😍 I'm teased for being a Jeans hound. But, what about batting? I didn't see it in the tutorial. NP, I think that I can try it on a small quilt, and then bravely move to a larger scale. I will post when I get one done. Thank You for your share.

• Shelly

I didnt use batting. The jeans are so thick you don’t need it.

• Simplysummers

It is my Alaska throw. I used husbands old work jeans and I had lots of cotton quilt scraps, that I cut for the center. The throw is 8 circles across and 13 circles long. We are heading to Alaska and I wanted a throw I could use in the truck.

Great instructions.

• Shelly

That’s a beautiful quilt! I just love it! 💕

• Mary

I love it thank you very much