Here's a Quilt I Made From My Husband's Old Jeans

My husband had a stack of old jeans that were just taking up space so I decided to make them into a quilt. This is an I Spy quilt, all the fabrics are different, no repeats. It's also a rag quilt because the edges are frayed.
I have a more detailed tutorial on my website. HangryFork.com
I cut pairs of jeans open along the seams. I used a pasta bowl and sharpie to trace circles onto the inside of old jeans.
I cut out the circles using a nice sharp pair of scissors.
I figured out what size square would fit inside the circle and made a templete out of a manila file.
I marked the square on the wrong side of half the denim circles. I sewed circles into rows.
Before I sewed the rows together, I used a ruler to join the square markings on half the rows. This is my sewing line.
I then joined all the rows together. I pressed the seams open like you see below.
Before I started this sewing project I ordered I Spy pre cut fabric squares from ebay.
I pinned the fabric squares to the denim. I did this on the ironing board and slid an acrylic ruler under the quilt to avoid pinning to the ironing board cover.
Then, I stitched down the flaps using the presser foot edge as my guide. I did the stitching in long rows. I did all the horizontal stitching and then did the vertical stitching. It goes surprisingly fast.
This is what the quilt looked like at this stage.
Next, I attached the binding. My daughter picked out this funky yellow fabric.
I carefully clipped the seam allowance and tossed the quilt in the washing machine. I washed it twice, cleaning out the lint from the washing machine in between cycles. When the quilt was in the dryer, there was a TON of lint and I cleaned out the dryer vent several times while the quilt was drying.

• Denim  (My closet)
  • Cotton Squares  (eBay)

The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
Shelly

• Linda May

I'm going to be making this 🤗😍 I'm teased for being a Jeans hound. But, what about batting? I didn't see it in the tutorial. NP, I think that I can try it on a small quilt, and then bravely move to a larger scale. I will post when I get one done. Thank You for your share.

• Rebecca Morales

I wouldn’t use batting either. I was thinking that the jeans alone would make it heavy HOWEVER I wouldn’t want the back side against my body so before the trimming, maybe line the back with a lightweight brushed cotton material.

• Teresa Duncan

Did you not put any backing material on it?

• Sharlene Leatherman

From what I can see, the circles sewn together make the backing. The vertical and horizontal stitching make a nice pattern on the back.

• Jimi Dawson

love this quilt... but not sure how you stitch the circles together?

please advise.

Thanks.

• Rebecca Morales

I looked at the tutorial and tried to understand it but maybe you’re like me and need a video. I went on YouTube and found Quilting Tutorials by Accuquilt. You can put sewing a circle quilt in the search bar. The one I found makes placemats but you’ll get the idea of how to sew the circles together.

• BrokeCrazyLady

For many years, I've been just stitching denim squares together to make bigger squares I then stitch this to another big square made from small squares of torn sheets or shirts for the back. I would then put a blanket between the two as batting and stitch the whole lot together. It was a great way to reuse those old torn jeans, blankets and sheets or shirts.

I absolutely LOVE the look of this and it seems it would save the step of actually 'quilting' the pieces together. My method means lots of knots and my hands are getting too old to tie all those knots.

Thank you so much for the idea... now I just need to start cutting circles instead of squares.

Oh, and I stopped worrying about cutting the legs open at the seams. I just mark my template and cut around the marks. Saves a lot of time on the cutting (something else my old hands aren't doing so well at anymore.)

• Penelope

wow!!!