Bernice H
Bernice H
  • Woodburn, OR
Asked on Apr 9, 2012

My hobby, sort of, half marble "art"

BTerryfuntashSandie Lori
+18

These are some of the things I have done. I used to glue half marbles on bowling balls for yard art..very pretty, but time consuming and my back couldnt keep up.So I started doing smaller things. Notice One of these is the jewelry tier I am starting to make, after seeing one on HT here. I have the pieces shown. Should be easy enough. I use clear bath silicone, for outdoor stuff I used indoor/outdoor GEll .This is not major creativity but it is pretty and i have a passion for glass and shiny stuff!
Lamp, bowl, candle holder, the lamp was one of those bean pot(?) lamp bottoms...the bowl just a bowl, The candle holder was just a glass a candle you buy.
same-o
same-o
The larger ball is one of those ceiling globes , the pencil holder is just a dollar store small vase, the votive holder is 2 pieces of glassware i glued together.
same-o
same-o
This is the tier I am going to glue for my jewelry, I saw this on HT, dont remember where....but I really like the idea. I might make a bunch!
same-o
same-o
glass pieces from goodwill
glass pieces from goodwill
same-o
same-o
  • 3po3

How creative. Nice work, Bernice. Maybe a stupid question, but how do you cut marbles in half?

• Bernice H

Thanks for the kudos Steve. I felt really dorky after I saw the awesome mosaic thread. No , you dont cut marbles in half..you buy them that way. Walmart's has been the Lowest prices I have seen, but other places have really good selections. I like the sheen/ shiney ones.

• 3po3

Oh, I've never looked for half marbles. I just remember having a whole bunch of whole marbles when I was a kid.

• Bernice H

Well you CAN use whole marbles if you want, just have to hold them until they set and dont fall off.Some on the black bowl are round , and i had to be patient. Oh, a funny on me, story. I have a mirror hanging from my little basket weave fence, I was going to glue marbles on the mirror part because it is so non reflective anymore. Well, as I was cleaning it off, i looked in the back , and in the nooks and crannies were several spider cocoons(?). One of the moms ran for it. But as i was cleaning the cocoons off, I said to myself, Bernice, this isnt going to fly. Sure enuf, you take this inside and work on it, some spider or spider babies is going to crawl out and scare the bejeebers out of you! So I hung it back up on the fence! uurrgghh!

• Nice idea ...i'd never seen half marbles before

• Miriam I

I've never heard of half marbles. How cool!

• Designs by BSB

creative uses Bernice! Maybe some of you may have seen these in the stores.. I think they call them gems. I wish I wouldve kept my marbles. Lost them long ago. ha.

• Bernice H

@Becky Sue...hahhahaahahaa me too. Yep they are called gems.

• Maria C

Very nice job...

• Kelly S

Love your work Bernice. What are you doing now?

• Debra Grieve

Very pretty! If I ever get the time, maybe I can make something like this!

• Bernice H

@Debra Grieve well, I would suggest starting with something smallish..like a small vase or candle holder...they make great gifts too. fill with candy or little lights. After doing something manageable,then you will know if you like doing this. But I love doing globes..those ceiling light fixtures. Have you seen the night stand with gems,( half marbles) glued on the top of the table then filled in with resin, I think it is. It is on Ht..beautiful!!!!

• Nicky

Hi, I would Love to know how you cut the marbles in half. As well as other Glass objects you cut, how do you cut them in half? I really like the iteams you have made that are shown in the pictures, They are very pretty. Thank you for you're time. I look forward to hearing back from you. Respectfully, Nicky

• Bernice H

Hi Nicky...I don't cut the marbles in half. You buy them this way .They are actually called glass gems but should be called half marbles because that is what they are. You get them at craft stores dollar stores,michaelswalmart,etc. I use GE ll silicone caulk clear for windows,bath ,exterior use. My way is to take a toothpick and put a glob on the marble I usually have a bigger glob on a piece of plastic or something and apply with toothpick from there. Others smear a section and apply marblesbut I don't like the residual glue that shows. I have other pictures if you are interested ,with other fun things I did. Thank you for commenting..have fun! I don't cut any glass items at all, tho some do.

• Sandie Lori

Since I'm on my husband's laptop, I'm technically logged in as him. (not sure why lol, but just to let everyone know it's a woman posting haha)...but the actual name for these are *flat back gems/gemstones*. If you just google *flat back gemstones*, you get numerous pics and links for them. :) UPDATE: Ok saw that it DID post my own name...just has my hubby's picture. So confusing! LOL....OMGOSH! I also noticed it says I'm from somewhere in NC?? I'm in Canada! Sorry...this is sooooooooo messed up?? LOL

• Terryfuntash

I love your work, I did a bowling ball , but couldnt figure out what to or how to cover the empty spaces, thank you so much for sharing

• Bernice H

Hi terry...I love doing this stuff! But I do it in spurts. The bowling balls I did I didn't fill in or cover usually,I just laid them on the hole side,no one sees them anyway. But one time I used the really big round gems to cover the holes. I cold see filling the holes maybe with styrofoam,then gems and silicone to cover the holes. I can't lift the bowling balls any more,so my last ones were light globes,smaller but still pretty. They are usually white,so many old houses and apartments have them,I got mine from the rehab stores. Have fun. Thank YOU,

• B

I can't wait to yet this myself. Great idea! Ty for sharing.

• Bernice H

Thank You Beth-have fun! The vases make great gifts...for pens,candy,flowers etc! If you have done any since you posted..do show us!