Diana Kamps
Diana Kamps
  • Reno, NV

CHIHULY Inspired Sun Catcher Made From Recycled Plastic Drinking Cups

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. I use a regular cookie sheet lined with parchment to put the plastic on for melting/shrinking in the oven. The shrinking only takes 2-3 minutes, so stay close. Use sharp scissors to cut plastic cups into different shapes (or leave whole). BEFORE you melt/shrink it, punch a hole in the plastic (it will be too hard after). The more variation in the plastic cups (bumps, ridges, etc.) the more interesting the piece will be. You can bend a piece after it is melted as long as you do it very quickly while the plastic is still very warm, you can flattened it with a metal spatula, or leave it as is. Using the cups is far less predictable than flat plastic, it twists and curls in strange ways. Be open to surprises! Use fishing line to string and hang up but you can use cord or ribbon.
chihuly inspired sun catcher made from recycled plastic drinking cups, crafts, repurposing upcycling

• Nikki Fisher

If I have already done some melting in my oven am I in danger? I kept the house very ventilated but didnt consider the problem of it in the oven...

• Judith Ann Cheesley-Hynes

What type of plastic cups..hard plastic like you buy in wallyworld...or some other type.. .not sure cause it says use sissors..

• Diana Kamps

Sorry, don't recall the recycle # BUT... can tell you this, the ones from the dollar store are too flimsy

• Linda Mulhall

This article is about what you can do with Solo brand cups.

• Elaine Stephens

howdo you melt the cups

• Irene

The picture on the right and left are different. How do I achieve the look on the left? I saw a light fixture that looked like that (mostly corkscrew designs) and it was $6,000. Since $6.00 or possibly $60 matches my pocketbook, I would love to try this.

• Diana Kamps

The picture on the left is made of glass by the artist Chihuly. The photo on the right is made from recycled plastic inspired by Chi

• Kathi

artist Chihuly art work is very, very expensive!

• Linda Mulhall

I think I would play around with cutting different shapes until I found some that melt in similar shapes to Dale Chihuly work.

• Chere

Chere How about trying plastic straws? Perhaps the fatter ones. I loved this one also. We have good taste..ha,ha,ha
  • Susie Campbell

Isn't it toxic to burn plastic ?

• Lila Carter

I melted pony beads in the oven and I'll never do that again. I would suggest maybe using your grill outdoors.
    • Becky White Raybourn

Your not burning them just melting and it only take a couple minutes. No smell unless you leave long enough to create a liquid.
  • Teena Adam

How and what do you use to hang it???
  • Ghislaine Noel

How did you make it, please?
    • Diana Kamps

I cut pieces of plastic drinking cups and melted in the oven as described above
  • SUZAN

WHAT SORT OF PLASTIC CUPS DID YOU USE? CAN YOU GIVE A BRAND NAME FOR EXAMPLE Solo, etc?