Baby H
Baby H
  • Atlanta, GA
Asked on Apr 9, 2012

I have a brick front home. The front porch (mortor) is failing and I see grass coming thru some areas.

Baby HIts Really Concrete, Inc.KMS Woodworks
+7

Should this be a regrout job or the repair morter? Does it matter which one is used of course understand that a bag of mortor would go futher?
  • KMS Woodworks

This is called "re-pointing" and to get a good Idea of what is involved check out this article from the National park service. http://www.nps.gov/hps/tps/briefs/brief02.htm

• Baby H

hmmm KMS, This is more than I want to accomplish

• Its Really Concrete, Inc.

grout isn't made for this use - you might try soil sterilant 1st - perhaps the grass isn't as large an issue as you think - even hot water will kill most weeds/grass

• Baby H

Its Really Concrete but it has pockets of missing Mortar. So I need to do something.

• KMS Woodworks

You can assume that this will not get any better over time...killing the grass is the first step...roundup can be used to..the second will be patching or sealing....at a minimal level some "mortar repair" caulk should be used to keep the water out...water in a freeze thaw cycle will keep compounding the problem.

• Baby H

Hi KMS thats correct, I'm just trying to understand if I should be getting a bag of mortar or the repair tube. Is there really a difference other than a bag will do more area? Thanks

• KMS Woodworks

Cost...the bag rate is far cheaper... a "bags" worth of volume in tubes of caulk will cost a ton more. The tube are great for small quick fixes.

• Baby H

Thanks KMS, basically I asked the guy at the store and his answer was" there is a difference but he wasn't sure what". LOL

• Its Really Concrete, Inc.

stay outta them stores - last week many of those employees were holding signs in front of tax preparers OR gold buyers :-) or it seems to me, anyway. the ' difference ' is the tubes contain polymers & bags don't - kms is right but you need type s mortar if buying a bag, NOT N,,, repairs are always different than 1st noted - more information is ALWAYS a HUGE help

• Baby H

thanks Its Really Concrete!!