What style of house is this?

+91
It is a 1.5 story house. I think it was built in the 50's or 60's. I want to remodel it a bit to make it more user-friendly, but on a budget and need to know what are my best options. Thank you!
q what style of house is this, home decor id, home improvement, My house What is the Style of it
My house. What is the 'Style" of it?
q what style of house is this, home decor id, home improvement
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Apr 06, 2016
    What does the inside look like? From the outside it appears to be a small cape.
  • Pfhuntley Pfhuntley on Apr 06, 2016
    The upstairs has same 1960's carpet over wood floors, no heat vents and a wide open space. What should I do in this house to open it up? Also, the 2nd downstairs bedroom, has a "closet" that is really an opening to the upstairs steps. What would you do to start with this house? Thank you!
  • Jemma Dee Jemma Dee on Apr 06, 2016
    Tudor style cottage
  • Mary Ann Davey Harby Mary Ann Davey Harby on Apr 06, 2016
    I believe it is a cape cod
  • Heather McKinney Heather McKinney on Apr 06, 2016
    I've always known them to be Cape Cod but I may be wrong.
  • Trudy Trudy on Apr 06, 2016
    Paint that front door a fun color!
    • See 2 previous
    • Pfhuntley Pfhuntley on Apr 07, 2016
      @Liz Oh cool! I will watch that tonight and see, thank you! Also, I wondered about the same color thing. Good tips! Thank you!
  • MN Mom MN Mom on Apr 06, 2016
    I would say this is a Tudor Cottage. Cape Cods typically have multiple dormers on the second story. I wouldn't consider this style Cape Cod.
    • Ola Jordan Ola Jordan on Feb 11, 2017
      My home is Cape Cod. Style is distinguished by dormers and full porch. I was thinking Craftman Cottage or Tudor Cottage. Not Cape Cod. Cute.

• During the era that this house was built, many homes were designed in a "minimalistic traditional" style to save on expenses. To give the house some extra "my house is better than your house" attitude, (wink) they threw in some tudor cottage architectural elements - such as the arched door with the decorative brick surround and the front facing, bold, chimney. You will find that a lot of real estate agents refer to these as Cape Cod cottage (because of the 1 and 1/2 stories coupled with the year built) and also as a Tudor cottage (because of the elements stated previously). Both are technically true as far as what defines the style, but not entirely accurate. (I know, that's not really an answer). If you want to take it in one direction or the other to have more of an authentic and consistent style, it is leaning most closely to a Tudor Cottage and would be reasonably easy to embellish upon that style, as far as the exterior goes. Check out some Tudor cottages on houzz.com and see what you like.
  • Colleen Colleen on Apr 06, 2016
    Paint will be your least expensive option for updating on a budget and would be a great place to start, beginning with the kitchen cupboards, paneling, trim, and the brick fireplace. Paint the front door a bright red, just for fun :) Would be pretty on that house.
    • Pfhuntley Pfhuntley on Apr 06, 2016
      @Colleen I was thinking on Hale Navy Blue on the outside and the Front door with white on the trim. I really want to make the kitchen better/bigger...I need a dishwasher!
  • Trudy Trudy on Apr 07, 2016
    Good morning, I think a classic house like that will look great with a fresh coat of white paint. I like the idea of a dark blue, but I am not sure how dark Hale Navy is. You want to be sure that it looks blue from a distance, buy a sample and paint some on before committing. I am going to disagree about the retaining wall. That would be an awful lot of dark blue and would take the attention away fro the house. I think a natural gray, maybe even faux painted rocks, so that it blends in more. PS I hope you are going to leave the brick unpainted, I like the contrast and character it gives the house.
    • See 1 previous
    • Pfhuntley Pfhuntley on Apr 07, 2016
      @Trudy this is hale navy.
  • Andrew van den Heever Andrew van den Heever on Apr 07, 2016
    I think this is such a beautiful little house and wouldn't change it, maybe a new coat of paint if needed. I would focus more on the garden you would be amazed what difference the garden can make to a house.
    I see that everyone is talking about painting the house blue, please don't! I'm not sure ware this house is, looks like the US? here in South Africa there are a lot of Blue, Black and green houses. I personally don't like! However keep us posted I'm curious to see the progress on your little project.
    • Pfhuntley Pfhuntley on Apr 07, 2016
      @Andrew van den Heever Thank you! It is in Minnesota USA. I will show you the blue. Not many here at all, but I love the look. I welcome all opinions, thank you!
  • TJ TJ on Apr 07, 2016
    Tudor
  • Scott Scott on Apr 07, 2016
    Shutters and WINDOW BOXES! Those windows just scream for a sweet window box. Precious home! I love it!
  • Margaret Margaret on Apr 07, 2016
    I agree white paint and shutters and flower boxes. Think cottage. I lived in a house like that when I was a newly wed in the early 60. That house might be older maybe 40s?
  • Pgl Pgl on Apr 07, 2016
    I believe if you look up Sears house kits [ made about 80 years ago you will find the style] I was always told this is a modified Cape Cod . I have seen this style along the lower part of the Delaware River in PA. It could also be considered a modified ranch. Check Your local Library or e-mail the library in Doylestown PA with a picture, they should be able to help you as these are fairly common in Morrisville.
  • Nan Nan on Apr 07, 2016
    Love the flower box idea. If you choose to do that, then also place some beautiful pots, bursting with color, on the brick retaining walls. SIMPLE shutters with a great color sounds like a plus! Good luck with your choices.
  • Eaa1125516 Eaa1125516 on Apr 07, 2016
    After looking it up ,I would say American Craftsman.
  • Jane Harriss Naus Jane Harriss Naus on Apr 07, 2016
    I would call this a classic 50's bungalow... I think you should paint (or stain) your retaining wall & your sidewalk a sidewalk grey (the same as a sidewalk - that way it doesn't stand out). I love Hale Navy & the door would be wonderful! Make sure to paint the window above your door & your storm door the same Hale Navy. I can't tell from the picture, but is that brick trim around your door or just painted red? If it's painted, paint it as the trim color (white) - not the navy. I would paint your window trim white & the siding a Light Khaki Tan (maybe the same as your carpet downstairs?). The white piece over the brick chimney needs to be painted the same "color" as the chimney (so it doesn't stand out) - you may need to try a couple of colors before finding the right one for this. Plant shrubs (low growing) around the house. Upstairs I would remove the carpet & live with wood floors as they are until you can refinish them (we did this in our house & after living with them for 5 years we have finally started the refinishing process). It will cut down on allergens & give you a picture of what you are working with. I suggest you paint all your interior trim the same color - white or off-white, but all the same, even the stained trim. I know, that's a big change, but when you paint all your trim the same it brings a cohesiveness to your home. You could use the same color as your exterior trim (which brings your color palette from outside to the inside). As for layout/design of rooms - I suggest you go purchase a program like Better Homes & Gardens Home Designer. You can pretty quickly layout your rooms, layout your furniture & actually see what it will look like - plus you can put colors on the walls, etc... makes it easier to "see" what options you can do. As for the stairs in the bedroom closet - you will be able to see what options you have when you layout your walls in the designer software. You may have an option to actually turn the stairs around & open them up to a den or dining area or move them completely to another area, but without seeing the layout it is hard to make any suggestions about this. My neighbor actually lives in a house that has a bedroom closet stair, and they have plans to flip the stairs around which will open the stairs up to the entrance in their home (she says that's the 5 yr plan). Work with a contractor on that one! Don't be afraid to call in contractors to get their opinions, their guidance, their ideas - they are a wealth of info & will gladly help out - plus they will give you pricing guidelines for you to work toward the things you can't or don't want to do yourselves! I noticed that you have some later-date paneling (looks like the 60's or 70's) which may have been added to cover cracks in plaster (we had that, too). We also had 2 different colors of paneling & 2 different styles! Ick! Rather then pulling it & replacing plaster/drywall we decided to paint the paneling the same light taupe we used in the hallway - the nasty stained (sunlight changed the color in places) paneling just went from a dark room to a light filled neutral space we could add all the color to we wanted to! Have fun with your new house & remember that paint is cheap! You have beautiful corner lot that will be the highlight of your neighborhood! Sorry this was sooo long!
    • Pfhuntley Pfhuntley on Apr 07, 2016
      @Thank You Jane Harriss Naus What a wonderful response! Thank you so much!!! It is red brick around the door and it needs to be repaired as does the front step brick. Good suggestion on the software, I used to have some for my older computer, but does not work on the newer ones. Love your suggestions, thank you!!!
  • Shari Veater Shari Veater on Apr 07, 2016
    Cape Cod...paint the cement retaining wall and add flowers....maybe a pop of color with the front door...ENJOY!
  • Emily Emily on Apr 07, 2016
    It is easy to determine the age of your house by checking at your county court house. When you say "remodel" do you mean just the outside? I would first determine the age/source of the house and then proceed, IMHO, honoring the original design.
    • Pfhuntley Pfhuntley on Apr 07, 2016
      @Emily I want to remodel the inside only. I will update on the outside, with color and such, but keep it original. The inside does not have a shower and the bathroom is tiny 6x6. The closet in my room, needs to have a new door so I can actually use the full closet instead of just able to reach only 24" of it as the door is small. I am thinking a sliding door. I want to open up the steps for upstairs, cuz now, they are in a closet in the 2nd bedroom, which is not really a bedroom because of it. Also, it is weird to have steps in a closet, so hidden, people say...YOU have an upstairs? Hmmm, where are your stairs? lol I would like to make it more open and make the kitchen more user friendly and include a dishwasher too.
  • Barbara Barbara on Apr 07, 2016
    I'd say it's a modified post-war Cape Cod. Are you working indoors for the remodel or outdoors? I love the window box idea with colorful flowers, but I'd be tempted to flank the windows with narrow shutters. I'd leave the retaining wall as is, with a fresh coat of paint to match existing. Overflowing potted plants/flowers on the brickwork on each side of the steps. Leave the white exterior, makes the home look larger. Darker colors will visually diminish the size and make the house appear much smaller. I wouldn't touch the architecture of the house at all, its got great curb appeal just the way it is. Really neat looking home!
    • See 6 previous
    • Pfhuntley Pfhuntley on Apr 14, 2016
      @Barbara Thank you for the tip on HD, I will use that service too! Thank you again and good luck on your remodel projects. I am excited to get started.
  • Sheryl Sheryl on Apr 07, 2016
    Cape Cod. Do all cute with lots of pops of color! My husband and I owned a home very similar to this one. I miss it. Whatever you do keep the charm. It's adorable. Hanging planters, shutters, shrubs and maybe even a wooden white picket fence would do wonders for it. Good Luck and have fun with it!
  • Tammy Sea Tammy Sea on Apr 07, 2016
    It's a bungalow. It would look beautiful with window boxes and a door color that pops.
  • Sheryl Sheryl on Apr 07, 2016
    I owned a home similar to it and miss it very much. Love the charm. Whatever you do keep the charm.
  • Bonny McDaniel Bonny McDaniel on Apr 07, 2016
    I agree that the style is a modified Cape Cod but there are other elements to this cute house. The only thing I would do to the house is give it a little more personality with, as someone said, some narrow shutters on the small windows to the left of the door and the right of the chimney and, also, the end windows. The front door could stand a little color as well as the storm door...nothing too outstanding like red...but a sage green or butter yellow might look nice (same color for the shutters). I agree on the retaining wall...paint grey or very light tan and then plant greens and flowers that will spill over the side like trailing petunias, bacopa, ivy, etc. I think the yard could stand one or two small deciduous trees (so they lose the leaves in the winter and they don't block your winter sun). Perhaps one at the end or out by the retaining wall and one to the left of the house. Also, the foundation plantings should be extended around the right and left ends of the house...try to bring them out a little ways on the ends and it will, visually, increase the footprint of the house...some flowers in the blank place to the right of the fireplace and then another boxwood or greenery and some more flowers at the end part of the house. And those brick walls bordering the steps just scream: potted plants/flowers on each landing! All of these things can be done gradually and on a minimum budget. Go to yard sales and get plants and pots, watch sales at the end of the season and buy bare root trees in the winter. You can do it...go for it!
    I just checked my "A Field Guide to American Houses" by Virginia and Lee McMaster and those elements of your house that are different than Cape Cod are the rounded doorway and the steep pitch of the roof and those fall under what is known as Eclectic Tudor. Many of those were stone and they seldom included the half-timber look of the true Tudor. They were popular in the 1920s and 1930s so it does look like the designer of this adorable house just 'married' the looks of several styles as they usually do in more modern times. Sometimes they produce an awful, dated look but, like yours, it is a very nice design and ageless.
    • Pfhuntley Pfhuntley on Apr 07, 2016
      @Thank You Bonny McDaniel WONDERFUL tips! I so appreciate them. It is so fun to learn what others would like in my house. I love people's opinions!!! Thank you much!
  • Cheryl Bowkett Cheryl Bowkett on Apr 07, 2016
    This is likely WWII Era as there are no eaves to speak of. This was a common practice during wartime to conserve materials.
  • Vic C. Vic C. on Apr 07, 2016
    In my opinion, it doesn't matter what style of this house was, if you prefer to retain it's original outlook of this house, please do. What you are asking is to remodel it into more user-friendly home, more open space with limited budget, right? In terms of user-friendly, I would say you should eliminate all the old carpets, replace them with either bamboo flooring or carpet tiles. For more flooring guides, please refer to Wayfair- Flooring Options and Materials Guide http://www.wayfair.com/ideas-and-advice/flooring-options-and-materials-guide-S4551.html. Next, if you do not need a bath tub, get rid of it, just make it a walk-in shower room with glass panel. There's a lot of options to choose from, e.g: Wayfair - Shower & Bathtubs enclosures http://www.wayfair.com/Shower-and-Bathtub-Enclosures-C215781.html?sku_boost_list=DLN2607. To create more open space, if you have bigger budget, you should eliminate/ hack some hallway walls/ walkway walls leading to the living hall or dining room. That would open-up the space and direct more natural lights in. If you can't do that, maybe you could remodel the window to full-size frame (ceiling to floor height). That would create a sense of openness and connecting the indoor and outdoor space. To block unwanted lights and for privacy, apply roller shades on the windows, e.g: HomeDepot: Lights Filtering Shades http://www.wayfair.com/Cordless-Cellular-Shade-Light-Filtering-CLF-CST38595.html. Last, but not least, if you have extra budget in the future, look into remodeling your kitchen cabinets. You could do "refacing your current cabinets" or "renew the cabinet doors", that would cut down your cost, for sure. There are many kitchen design ideas from HomeDepot: Kitchen Design Ideas http://www.homedepot.com/c/SPC_KI_Gallery. Cheers, Vic C. p/s: You mentioned about the closet under the staircase, I would suggest that you open up the space, put up a nice wall cabinet with working space, or a day-bed for a nap, or just put a cozy arm-chair with a coffee table for reading. There are lots of ideas online how you could fully-utilized that space to your preference! e.g: Houzz: Under the stairs http://www.houzz.com/under-the-stairs.
  • Marilyn Marilyn on Apr 07, 2016
    It looks somewhat like an English Style Cottage, which was a popular architectural style from the 1920s to the 1940s.
  • Joy Ciccketti Augevich Joy Ciccketti Augevich on Apr 07, 2016
    They call them English Cottages. Yes, it's a Cape also.