Nan Ingle
Nan Ingle
  • Stilwell, OK

SNAKES

Shirley BPhyllis WenzelNan Ingle
+12

DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW TO KEEP SNAKES AWAY FROM THE HOUSE, GARAGE AND OUT OF THE YARD
  • Amy Felt

I want to know too, I have a phobia. I bought a product from Farm and Country called "snake away" that smelled like moth balls. Seemed to work or I just got lucky.

• Shari

I need to know too! My snake phobia is so bad I can't even stand to see them on TV or a photo of one. Unfortunately, I'm a city girl, now living in the country on a horse farm so every time I step outside, I'm constantly on high alert. My daughter stopped by just the other day and as she came in the door she said, "Don't go in the garage," so I knew exactly what that meant--snake in the garage. :::shudder::: Since my husband wasn't home, my daughter and two nice, BRAVE ladies who board their horses here on our property took care of it for me. Gives me the heebee-jeebees just to think about it now. Edited to add: Hopefully there is a product that would repel the snakes but not be harmful to our cats and dogs.

• Susan adkins

MOTHBALLS WILL KEEP THEM AWAY AS LONG AS THEY DON'T GET WET

• Shari

Mothballs are extremely toxic to animals if ingested. My daughter has a little Papillon dog that is cute as a button but dumb as a rock. She'll eat anything so I'd couldn't/wouldn't risk using mothballs.

• Nan Ingle

I have tried moth balls.. and this year that are not working...any other suggestions..? thank you for all your help.

• KMS Woodworks

Snakes often take up residence due to a handy food source...Removing the food source will help with the problem. Many snakes are attracted to rodents....do you have evidence of mice?

• Nan Ingle

no. I always keep d-con under my house. I haven't seen mice in years.

• Shari

It would appear mice aren't the only thing snakes like. My daughter said the snake in my garage last week was stalking a frog. We also have a lot of little brown lizards here in FL called "Cuban anoles," which, I suspect, would make a tasty snake snack. Makes it kind of hard to rid your property of all snake appetizers, especially when you live in a country environment. When we first moved here, I insisted my husband pull out all the shrubs and plants next to the house--everything. We have absolutely no landscaping because I didn't want anywhere for them to hide up close to the house. I think that, and keeping the grass mowed short on a regular basis, helps but there is a densely wooded area only 100 feet or so from my house. Even though I try not to think about it too much, I'm sure that has to be a thriving "snake city" over there. Ick.

• Nan Ingle

I also had my husband cut and trim everything with in 4 foot of my house. so I could see the ground. I do have a lot of lizards.

• KMS Woodworks

Most snakes are not poisonous, and if the ones you have are just your basic "garden" variety, there is no real concern or risk to you. Unfortunately too many people are "freaked out" by our wild neighbors. Snakes and spiders get a bad rap, and people kill them indiscriminately based on fear, when in reality they are just living their life the way evolution has dictated.

• Nancee Barnett

I've heard planting garlic and/or rosemary works. I've also heard and tried (a bit discusting but worked) emptying cat boxes or dog poo in the bushes, and then i purchased at Lowes a product called Snake Shield by Havahart. It's been 14 months without seeing a snake. Fingers crossed.

• Judith Bosford

I have heard that mothballs around house, yard and garage will keep snakes away.

• Nan Ingle

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Phyllis Wenzel

I HATE SNAKES - I HATE SNAKES - I HATE SNAKES ----------

• Shirley B

My grandmother used to tell me that donkeys will kill any snake if you live on a big enough piece of land. She also said that a snake will not cross a rope. It's something to do with the feel of the rope on their underbellies that will keep them out. I don't have enough rope and couldn't afford it if I could find that much, but for a small yard I would try it. For now, I will be buying a few Guineas (yard chickens) that will also kill snakes if they find them. I'll keep trying until I find something that works!