Ed M
Ed M
  • Newnan, GA
Asked on Apr 9, 2012

Any suggestions why our home is unusually dusty?

Rosie KJP SDesigns by BSB
+4

Our 2 story home has more dust than 'normal'. Any suggestion as to why that may be? Could it be from the central AC/Heating system? If so how can I determine the cause and how best to fix the problem? Thanks.
  • Changing you hvac filters monthly will help....rotate the expensive ones in every 3 months......that usually helps. Everyone should change their filters once a month but most don't!

• Ed M

Thank you for the suggestions but this doesn't answer my question because I failed to mention in my original post...filters are changed frequently. thanks.

• KMS Woodworks

Higher grade filter may help....use paper HEPA filters compared to the basic blue fiberglass.

• Miriam I

Hi Ed, here is a similar question to yours with lots of great info: http://www.hometalk.com/138167/filters-for-vents

• Designs by BSB

We had our ducts cleaned .. first time and house was built 18yrs ago. It took some research to find a reputable company, but it was the best thing we could have done! Now I dust 1/4 of the time :-D Remember.. winter time will always be the worst, especially if you do not run a whole house humidifier.

• JP S

Ed,I have/had the same problem.I turned the fan on to run 24/7 ( no heat or air) and changed the filters 1 x mo.This has helped very much w/the dust . The filters get really dirty in a month with the fans running.I hope this helps your situation also.

• Rosie K

Do you ever use the carpet fresh power on your carpet(if you still have carpet)? I found this to be a problem when I realized I had dusted or cleaned(pledge) furniture, but when I finished vacuuming, it seems I had more dust or powder like substance than before, lol. Just saying, mommarose