Maria C
Maria C
  • Las Vegas, NV
Asked on Apr 9, 2012

little bugs in my garden, how to get rid of them ( organic way ) than you for all your help...

MargolynluvsuDORLISTami
+7

I was watering my plants these morning , and I notice something little flying around my ( peppermint, spearmint,im not sure exactly ) i take a picture but its not clear,, any options to get rid of those bugs ( i think they are because its not growing properly) i would like something organic because i use it as spice or make tee
q what can i do, gardening, pest control
  • 3po3

I can't make out what they are, but if you take both the bug and a cutting from the plant to your local Cooperative Extension office, they should be able to identify it, and give you good options for control.

• Ian S

Those look like grubs (white thick worm like critters), which will turn into japenese beetles. So anything that will kill grubs will work.

I can't make them out in your photo either. I would do as Steve suggests.

• Maria C

Thank u for all your answers, I will try to catches them they're so fast kind running-flying.. I will do that because I been notice the rest of the plants has it to... I'm sad I hope this year have success. Last year not..

• 3po3

Good luck Maria. This is probably obvious, but catching bugs off plants in a jar is easier than trying to catch them in your hand or something like that.

• Maria C

LOL thanks

• Tami

cant say for certain, but it sounds like white fly. a half of teaspoon of dawn original dish soap and water mixed in spray bottle. works well indoors and out. spray dirt and mix with fork. spray plant too. rinse any food well before you ingest it. saved a many a plant this way. now i use it as a precaution and it has worked for me. i have my chemical pesticide license for my state however i recommend using them as a last resort. hometalk has lots of people who know about this and the recipes they use. good luck!

• DORLIS

They could be fungus gnats. Have you had an extremely wet spring like we have i Missouri? They usually feed on dying vegetation but have been know to munch on healthy plants. Google a fungus gnat and see if that is what they look like. Add some lavender (couple of drops) to the Dawn mixture, they do not like the strong oils. You might plant a piece of it in a hot sunny place, they do not like dry areas..

• Margolynluvsu

A flea coller or baby powder.