Barb L
Barb L
  • Minneapolis, MN

What is the best way to get calcium build of ceramic?

Mrs. CJoloshoSusan N
+3

my water fountain outside has calcium build up, is there any natural way to get rid of this I don't want to use harsh chemicals
  • KMS Woodworks

Vinegar would be a good place to start...if should dissolve the build up, or at least soften it up with bit so it can be scrubbed out with a kitchen sponge with a green scrubie.

• Kim Palmeruk

Yes, just soak papertowels and place on the item. Leave sit for a few hours and then wipe off.

• Barb L

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas.

• Susan N

CLR is made to remove calcium, lime, and rust (hence the name.) Follow directions and wear good rubber gloves. I would use a cloth rag and soak it with the CLR and leave it sit on the areas you want to clean for a while. Then, scrub brush or scrubbie to clean away the buildup. I've never had any material react badly but to be safe, try it on a small spot away from the most visible area...

• Jolosho

At the grocery store where the spices are located you can find Citric Acid for home canning tomatoes. A teaspoon of this in a 1/2 gallon of water would be a good place to start. I usually soak things that are way corroded in a stronger solution. You will be amazed what this will clean up! I really like the fact that it is doesn't smell and I don't need to wear gloves for protection. This can clean up corroded rusty metal or ceramic. I would try it on other things as well.

• Mrs. C

You could try using vinegar and baking soda. It will break down the calcium.