Mosaic Tile Birdbath Using Recycled DVDs

$45

Have an old birdbath that could use a face lift? Here's an easy way to add some color to your garden and recycle some of those old DVDs too! (PLEASE NOTE: I've had a lot of people mention CDs, which were NOT used for this project. I used DVDs, which will give you a different result.) Be sure to stop by my blog so you can get all the details on the products and methods I used. Before you know it, you'll be creating some stunning artwork for your garden too!

Even with no experience in mosaics or tiling, our bird bath face lift turned out just as I had hoped. Now I'm thinking about all the other things I could do...gazing balls, garden stakes, water fountains, etc. The sky's the limit!

This is what we started with. Our birdbath had taken a tumble shortly after we got it, and stayed in pieces for three years until recently when my husband glued them back together with some clear silicone.

After that, I used J-B WaterWeld to seal the cracks and make it water-tight again. It's my go-to method for repairing things that will be wet or underwater. It's also drinking water safe, so you don't have to worry about its toxicity.

Did you know DVDs are constructed in two layers? I separated the layers and cut up the shiny layer to achieve that stunning rainbow effect. If you want a more subdued look, use CDs instead.

After sealing the cut DVD pieces to protect the shiny layer, I used a strong, clear flexible adhesive to attach them to the top and edges of the birdbath.

Covering all that work was a little scary, to say the least. I wasn't sure if I was using the right product, and whether all that color that I loved so much would be ruined. Thankfully, it turned out even prettier than I imagined.

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
How A Little Bit Of Glitter Can Go A Long Way!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
These West Elm Knockoffs Are Pretty Unbelievable
26 Adorable Ornament Ideas to Get You REALLY Excited for Christmas
MeandMyDIY

• Patty Pritchett
    Patty Pritchett

This is gorgeous. I found additional info on how to do same project here:

https://www.upcyclethat.com/dvd-mosaic-method/

I'll also mention that I searched deeply online and found waterproof marine adhesives and coatings safe for wildlife and pinned the info but cannot find it.

• Barbra Fear
    Barbra Fear

Any time you plan on using any kind of grout for outside projects or anything that will involve water...I would suggest using a grout sealer, like you would for your shower... makes grout water proof