Linda
Linda
  • San Antonio, TX

How to clean granite headstones.

LindaMElissa

What is the best way to clean the yuck off of pink granite headstone? We went to my Dad-n-law grave on Memorial day an notice his headstone had this white almost power like stuff on it. Looking around we noticed that almost all the pink granite had this on them too. We would love to clean it and polish it up the way it was.
  • MElissa

Try this website: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~armissi2/gravestonecleaning.html The main thing is to NOT use household cleaners....only non-ionic cleaners are safe for any tombstone. You can find them at some swimming pool , photo processing or janitorial supply companies. And NEVER use muratic acid on any tombstone...or harsh scrub brushes. My family made tombstones and I cant tell you how many times my dad had to totally resandblast a tombstone to fix a careless cleaning. Good luck!

• Linda

Thank you so much Melissa. This is really going to help.