IKEA Cabinet and Soda Can Labels Diy

62K Views
Last week I showed you my "vintage" number labels made from a soda can. Since I had extra mailing labels I figured I would follow up my numbers with an idea on how to get the same look but this time with words and at the same time use my IKEA cabinet I've had sitting around forever.
  • ikea cabinet and soda can labels diy, chalk paint, crafts, diy, how to, painted furniture, repurposing upcycling, storage ideas
I know how hard it is to find vintage numbers and labels for all your diy projects but you really can make your own for pennies.
This project started out with this birch plywood cabinet originally from IKEA. I don't think they are currently for sale but considering how long they have been around, they should be landing in thrift stores and yard sales.
Started my transformation by staining all the drawers inside and out and the cabinet that holds all the drawers on the outside.
Followed the stain with 2 coats of varnish. The inside of the cabinet was painted black.
On just the fronts on the drawers and the outside of the cabinet, painted a layer of linen chalk paint. The chalk paint was lightly sanded, especially the edges and followed by a coat of tinted wax to muddy up the finish.
The labels for the cabinet were made from an ordinary soda can. The top and bottom were cut off and split down the side with household scissors.
On the computer I lined up my address labels. I only needed 6 for this project, but why waste a whole sheet of address labels... so on my website you will find 30 different labels in 2 different sizes and 3 different fonts.
These are the 4 stages of the labels.
a. print on a clear label
b. adhere to a soda can
c. scratch off some of the label to reveal some of the shiny can beneath
d. In the final step, use a q-tip to dab on some tinted wax, (the same kind of wax you would use for chalk paint) to age the label a bit. Don't rub too hard on the lettering or it will rub off. The wax will not only age the label but also seal the print.
I found these cute little handles at Hobby Lobby, 4 for $1.99 (pre-coupon).
Two tacks was all it took to attach my soda can labels to the chest.
While I only needed 6 labels for this project, included on my website are more pictures and an entire sheet of 30 different labels in 3 different versions. If you like, you can download any of these. It may save you time aligning your own labels.
You can find the downloadable free vintage numbers here. I know you can do it yourself, but it too may save you a bit of time.
http://scavengerchic.com/2016/03/24/soda-can-vintage-number-labels/

Suggested materials for this project:

ScavengerChic