Organized 31
Organized 31

Organizing and Storing Spices

Easy way to keep track of your spices' freshness and organize them.
Organize spices alphabetically and use lazy Susan's make it easy to access your spices.
Use a Sharpie to mark the date you open the spice jar so that in 1, 2, 5, 10 years, you'll know exactly how old those spices really are.
Organized 31

• Bsk27580167

What do you do about the center space on the turntables, where things are either hidden or you don't use it? Do you find this is better than vertically stacking the jars in one of those three-level shelves? I am always struggling with that wasted space or else forgetting what was in the center behind what I can see.
    • Organized 31

I place rarely used spices, like cardamom that I only use for Christmas baking, in the center area. I also place the newly purchased replacement jar just behind the almost empty jar of a spice. Or sometimes a taller jar of spices that I can see over the shorter ones, but I'm usually limited by the shelf above.

• Diane B

I totally agree with putting the date you opened it on the label. Some people think spice's last forever!

• Michael Maloney

I find spice is one of the few things that are so difficult to store while being easily retrievable at the same time. This is due to their short height and non-stackable build. Hence, I can only think of shelves as the best storage solution to this kitchen commodity. A rotatable shelf like yours here in this article is even more amazing as you can easily find which exact spice you are looking for.