3po3
3po3
Asked on Apr 10, 2012

Aerating the lawn - DIY or pro? and when?

Garden Inspire3po3Walter Reeves
+4

Hey, I bought my house three and a half years ago, and I haven't had the lawn aerated. I think it's due, but I know I'm early, but I'm just trying to get opinions on the best time to aerate, and whether I can do it right renting a machine from the big orange box or if I should just have a pro do it for me?

It sounds like fall is the best time to do it in Colorado: http://csuturf.colostate.edu/Pages/summer2003lawnCARE.htm

• Walter Reeves

No matter who does it, the aeration should be thorough. My advice is 10 holes per square foot....which occurs after at least three passes over the lawn.

• Melissa G

It's easy to do it yourself, if you'd like to save a bit of money -- though it depends on the size of your lawn. If it's very large, a pro may be the way to go.

• 3po3

Thanks folks. Douglas, I wish I had read that in the fall. I'm always talking up cooperative extension, and I live less than a mile from CSU, but I didn't think to read this. Melissa, my lawn is actually pretty small. That's why I was torn on hiring vs. DIY. Does anyone know how large aerators are? Will one fit in the back of a CR-V?

• Walter Reeves

The ones I rent don't collapse very easily. Much depends on the model of machine and car.

• 3po3

Thanks Walter.

• Garden Inspire

Steve, Aerating is best done in the fall but since it hasn't been done it awhile you could do ahead and then aerate again this fall. After aerating I like to add compost - it works its way into the holes and improves your soil. It is not difficult to use your self. Make sure your are going deep enough and avoid things like underground sprinkler pipe. You will be able to tell once you get to the rental shop whether it will fit. If not, you may want to consider asking a neighbor to help pick it up and split the time with them. You may want to do that anyway to save you both money.