Marvin R
Marvin R
  • Sanford, NC
Asked on Apr 10, 2012

Tomato question

Brendan PoynterDouglas HuntT A T
+3

Does anyone know of a type of tomato that might be spicy or more salty than regular tomatoes?Im going to start my garden and im not very big on the sweet tomatoes and thought there might be a variety that had these qualities.
  • Walter Reeves

Sweetness and sourness of tomatoes is very much determined by the amount of sunshine present, amount of fertilizer and amount of water. A variety that tastes salty one year might be bland the next year. This link has many descriptions: http://www.totallytomato.com/

• KMS Woodworks

Just like some of the properties in the grapes used to produce wine...soil climate etc.

• Evelyn R

I grew a green, striped tomato one year that was not at all sweet but I don't remember the name.

• T A T

google your question

Marvin, many of the darker purplish tomatoes are said to have a saltier taste. Cherokee Purple is a widely available variety of that type. And Black Krim is one of my favorites.

• Brendan Poynter

Hi Marvin, I have never heard of a specific breed of tomato that is spicy. However, I have heard that some farmers and gardeners will plant their spicy pepper plants around any type (i.e. Roma, Beefsteak) tomato plant to cause cross pollination which gives the tomatoes that spicy kick. You may want to give that a try.