Dianna Brown
Dianna Brown
  • Redford, MI

What the heck is this?

Dianna BrownElaine SimmonsAnita Faircloth
+13

This grew in my garden after raining all night. I believe it is some kind of fungi. There is a root system on the bottom, looks a little like a carrot, very slimy and very gross. Also has a hole on the top like a tube. In all my years I have NEVER seen anything like it. What are we thinking it is?
q what the heck is this, gardening
  • Kimberly Barney

It is a fungus that grows from the mulch. It really doesn't harm anything but looks rather disgusting. I always get rid of them as soon as they appear. Never had them until I started usign black mulch and won't use black mulch after this year.

• Dianna Brown

I don't have any black mulch there yet but did put down some miracle grow planting soil yesterday. That's probably were it came from...disgusting is a good word for it...thanks a bunch...

• Jayme

It looks alien....LOL.

• Dianna Brown

Ok Jayme...you are the second person to tell me that...LOL

• They're back! lol

• Julie

We had something like this. Just thought it was some form of mushroom. It smelled awful.

• Ava Landscapes

its called a stinkhorn. Its a perfectly harmless, albeit unsightly fungus. I usually rake them and then they'll shrivel up and die.

• Dianna Brown

Thanks Ava,,,,that is a good name of it...and yes...it stinks!

• Beth swindler

we always called them "devil fingers" but they are harmless. They will go away once the summer heat hits.

• Elaine Simmons

I found one of these in my garden once and since I have no sense of smell to speak of, they didn't smell to me. Curious as to what it was, I took it to a local nursery and when I showed it to the worker, he said "can't you smell it" and backed away. I found out then that it is called a "stinkhorn". It looked to me like some alien dropped their private part in my garden! LOL

• Dianna Brown

Gee Elaine...I'm glad you said that...that was what I told my daughter...:-)

• Somewhat Quirky

gross!

• CAROLE M ARBUCKLE

It's Gross and mine attracted TONS of flies!

• Anita Faircloth

"Stinkhorn" is the name and it lives p to its name. Smells like carrion, or as us old southerners would say "kyarn"! (and that is 2 syllables!).

• Elaine Simmons

Dianna............dirty minds think alike? haha

• Dianna Brown

Got that right....shame on us.. ;-)