DIY Weed Killer

With the increasing controversy surrounding the health effects of glyphosate, why not skip the Roundup and try this 100% natural weed killer?
Many DIY weed killers use white vinegar. I have found our weeds to be too hardy for white vinegar. I have had better success with horticultural vinegar!
White vinegar is a 5% acetic acid compound while horticultural is a 20% acetic acid product. White vinegar is obviously much cheaper, but I have found a little goes a long way with the 20% solution.
You can also dilute the 20% with an equal amount of water to create a 10% solution. (10% may be enough for your weeds.)
Recipe:
-2 cups horticultural vinegar
-splash of citrus oil
The citrus oil contains d-limonene, which naturally strips away the waxy plant cuticle, adding to the dehydration of the plant. (I don't use my expensive orange or lemon essential oils for this. I like this affordable natural orange oil.)
Blend the two in a spray bottle and apply directly to weeds. Be sure to spray only the plants you are seeking to eliminate as this will kill any living plant in its path.
(See my blog post for a second recipe using liquid castile soap!)

Andrea Fabry

• Sue cummings

I like this idea but I have no idea where to purchase horticultural vinegar! Can you help?

• Linda

Is this safe to use around poultry and dogs?

• Andrea Fabry

It's very acidic. Too harsh for pets, unless it is highly diluted.

• Roberta Lenski

Have you tried using a natural cleaner with D-limonene (orange oil) as an additive? It would be healthy and might work better on waxy, difficult invaders like wild garlic.

• Moonalisa Crabass

That is what she used. I went to her blog post, for the details...just follow the link above.

• Roberta Lenski

The post lists orange oil. That is different from a cleaner with d-limonene. The cleaner would be stronger than just orange oil and better suited for waxy vegetation. I just wondered if it had been tried and found to be effective.

• Roberta Lenski

Oh to clarify, ‎ - D-limonene is one of the most common terpenes in nature. It is a major constituent in several citrus oils, including oil of orange.

• Moonalisa Crabass

I am confused by your response, as the authors linked blog states the following: "The citrus oil contains d-limonene, which naturally strips away the waxy plant cuticle, adding to the dehydration of the plant. (I don’t use my expensive orange or lemon essential oils for this. I like this affordable natural orange oil.)" The link she provides for the orange oil she used, is a cleaner that contains pure orange oil and other ingredients.

• Carey

What citrus oil (specifically) did you use?

• Beth

I have a small garden with Tomatoes and green peppers, would this hurt my vegetables?

• Wynne

Yes, it works just like roundup and will kill any plant it comes in contact with. You can use a paintbrush and paint weeds that are close, but not touching your veggies.

• Wendy

Will this work on poison oak and ivy? What about those mean green briars that some call saw briars? I have more of those then I know what to do with!

• Jeannie Carle

Is THAT what that stuff is! It tried to take over my back yard! The stuff climbed my cedar trees and I discovered it goes underground and comes up where it wants!

• Linda

I call them 'weeds from hell'

• Pat Major

It didn't work on ivy, wild grape vine and some other weeds in my yard. It worked best on small new weeds & in direct sunlight. I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. The only was I could get horticultural vinegar was via mail order.

• Kimberly A Nichols

Bayer makes a product called "Bayer Advance Brush Killer Plus." It WILL kill Poison Ivy, Poison Oak, BlackBerrys, and other invasive climbing ivy, it also kills Stumps and so forth. It works VERY well.

• Sheilah

Will it kill bermuda grass??

• Andrea Fabry

I have read that Bermuda grass easily grows back after being thwarted by this. I have no personal experience with it.

• Mandy Smith

I do not think there is anything in the world that will kill Bermuda grass :-((

• Kimberly A Nichols

There is a product does actually kill all bermuda grass and its rhizomes. It is called Ornamec Grass Herbicide (over the top) and you can find it on Amazon. I have personally used it and it does kill all Bermuda Grass and its Rhizomes if used in accordance with the directions. It does not kill the good grass you want to keep.

• Renata

I use white 1 gal white vinegar, 1 cup salt , shake to disolve salt, add 1 tbs liquid dish soap. Shake n spray on weeds when it is hot n gonna be hot for couple of days . Have heard this Horticulure works better but I have looked everywhere (2 Farm supply stores, Bi-Mart, Home Depot, WalMart,) for this horticulteral vinegar with no luck, where do u find it? Plz n thank u

• Andrea Fabry

I have only found it online! Amazon carries it.

• Sheila

also known as 20% vinegar

• Dianna DeSimone

Does it kill Bermuda Grass? I have gotten Bermuda Grass in my planter and I can't find something to kill it without killing my flowers too.

• Renata

That darn bermuda grass is horrible. Haven't noticed it killing that. Back in the day a strong dose of round up did but now that the invirmentalist have changed things it's not as strong. I have used something called Noxal that works pretty good on the tuff ones but don't have bermuda now so couldn't honestly tell you. I would try a straight dose of vinegar in a small spot since it's reasonably priced. Good luck.

• Lynn5280

CRAB GRASS IS HORRIBLE TOO

• Elizabeth Roy

Where did you purchase the horticultural vinegar? Thanks

• Donna

I am going to check at a nursery today and see if I can find it there...

• Kathie Hoyt

Where do you find the ingredients for this?

• Andrea Fabry

@Kathie Hoyt I found the horticultural vinegar online through Amazon. It's linked at the blog post.

• Debra Campbell

Where do you get your citrus oil

• Donna

what about one of the bulk cleaning supplies stores like Sampson's soaps?

• Linda Hunt

Thanks for what sounds like a great solution for my weeds. I can not find where you have the information for your 'citrus oil". If you have time I would appreciate knowing and then I can try this. Thank you, Linda

• Andrea Fabry

I get any lemon or orange essential oil from Amazon. I don't worry too much about high quality for this project. I go with something affordable.

• Roberta Good

Does this solution work on chives? I planted some in my herb garden, and it has taken over and is spreading to my flower garden and the cracks of my sidewalk!

• Wean

Dig them up !

• Linda

I agree with Wean, dig them up, share with your neighbours, or pot them up & donate or sell :) this solution will kill the chives but also anything it gets onto in your flower garden, make sure it's not a breezy day as the spray will carry in the wind & onto other plants, it would be safer to just use it on the sidewalk, & cover any nearby plants with plastic sheeting, also keep your skin covered, wear gloves & eye protection, as it can burn the skin & do permanent eye damage if the vinegar is over 10% concentration, also as Cheryl (Saint Augustine, Fl) pointed out in her post, Limonene in citrus oils can kill cats, please read her post below for more info :)

• Sharon Forsythe

Could you be more specific about what kind of citrus oil please. I looked on Amazon and what I found was very expensive. If you could give me the name of what you use I would appreciate it. I ordered the Horticultural Vinegar but still need the citrus oil. Thanks

• Geraldine L Gallegos

Dawn original dish soap,the blue bottle,would work just as well as citrus oil,one fourth cup per gallon of vinegar.

• Sharon Forsythe

Thank you so much. I appreciate your help.

• Sonia Morrow

If you know anyone in hot food trades, ask them to sell you some Acetic Acid. You make a 16/1 dilution for your fries. It is horrendously strong. Don't know what strength of it for your weeds. Hope this helps.

• Sharon Forsythe

Thank you

• Tricia

What about poison ivy😝😝. It's taken over our back yard and growing up trees and chimney........ I've read about the "stuff" they sell in stores and the chemicals you can use from researching on line about p.i. Wondering if I could use this instead

• Sue Klinedinst

First I try to dig it up root and all, put in plastic garbage bag and throw away. (Every body part covered and using plastic gloves. Try not to let it touch your shoes.) You have about a half hour to work on the ivy, then you must come in, put clothes in wash, throw away gloves and shower thoroughly. Then if you see any coming back, I have used Brush Be Gone with much success.

• Sue Klinedinst

Also some people rent goats or geese. Don't know if that is a reasonable answer for you.

• Wendy

spray it with saltwater

• Vickie

I have heard that you shouldn't burn poison ivy, it can release the oils and as you breathe it can get in your lungs and have the same effect as it does on your skin. It isn't just in the smoke either, can just drift in the air before settling on the ground.

• Nancy

white vinegar works too

• Anita Minton

The dead vine still contains the toxin urishiol that causes the irritation. AND even if you've never gotten poison ivy/oak you could the next time you're exposed.

• Ann Hardy

Made my brother I'll enough to be hospitalized after burning! DO NOT BURN.........

• Sue Kiene

I agree with the brush b gone but if it is not close to desired plants cover with salt completely

• Jeannie Carle

Absolutely do not burn! Omigosh no! My aunt was hospitalized after Grandpa burned it - almost her entire body - just soo lucky it didn't go to her lungs!

• Jessieann

Absolutely DO NOT BURN I was working in the ER when 2 people came in via ambulance who had inhaled the smoke. We nearly lost them both. They were on ventilators for a week. And speaking from personal experience do not pick up old dead and down vines as one person mentioned the toxin is still there. Also as a side note, Mangoes have Urishol in the skin so don't scrape the fruit off the skin with your teeth.

• Lisa House

Anyone working with weeds/brush need to purchase a product called Zanfell. Available at Walmart pharmacy and probably many others. The tube will cost you about $35 but will last for a long time. Use as directed before and/or after to prevent/treat poison ivy. This stuff is amazing! My husband has not had a rash from poison ivy in 10+ years!

• Nattie

Would apple cider vinegar work?

• Mary Smith

I'm not sure it's strong enough. You could try a little and see. I think white vinegar would be better than apple cider.

• Debra Clay

I use white vinegar, salt and blue dawn dish soap. Works great!

• JW

Debra Clay. What proportions of each do you use?

• Pam Covelli

1/2 gallon white vinegar, 1/4 cup table salt, 1/2 tsp dawn dish soap (the blue one)

• Jessieann

The salt alone would kill the weeds but it is not so good for the soil.

• Stephania Potter

You can use Epsom Salt in stead of salt. I gallon white vinegar, 2 cups Epsom salt and the teaspoon of dish soap. Epsom salt is actually good for the soil.

• Dwa523415

Don't use the salt around cement. It will cause it to crumble.

• San7417527

I use a gallon of white vinegar, 2 cups of Epsom salt and a 1/4 cup of dawn blue original. I double it and mix it in my large sprayer. I have a paver driveway and a brick patio. Usually one application lasts me for the whole season.

• Pat Bauer

Where do you get the citrus oil?

• Dianne

Other than Amazon, where can the horticultural vinegar be found? It isn't in the Home Depot or Lowe's data bank.

• Stephania Potter

Try Peaceful Valley Supply, www.groworganic.com in California. I get mine at Concentratesnw in Portland, Oregon

• Stephania Potter

Peaceful Valley Supply has a video on organic weeding. In fact they produce several how to video's on organic gardening.

• Linda Hunt

I am from Canada where we can buy it from any agricultural supply company. If you find out where farmers in your area buy their seeds and the myriad of other supplies needed farming you will have a great source.

• Catherine

I have a volunteer tree growing in the middle of a climbing rose. Main stem is now 1-1/2inches thick, I have cut back all the limbs but it keeps sprouting, I can't dig it out without killing my rose. Would vinegar take care of the tree on the cut parts, without killing the rose?

• Kathy Bitzan

@Catherine I would not try that. vinegar can do a good job on plants and grass if not careful. I would try digging up the whole thing then removing the unwanted part and replanting that rose. I would hate to lose one of my roses. Not sure this is possible, but could be a solution.

• Neva Dew

Try the vinegar, but don't spray it. Cut the stem/trunk and then dab some of the solution on the cut surface. And I might make it stronger to use in this case. I would also try this idea for the poison ivy in a question below this one.

• Sue Kiene

you might even want to drill a hole into the stem/trunk and using a dropper or syringe fill the hole.

• Renata

Most companies put their company's information on the back lable. Could u please send me that. I am one who calls companies to get their info on where I can find their product n maybe be able to get Wal-Mart stores to sell this sought after product. Tk u

• ANA

I have heard before about this vinegar. Can you use the mix in a regular weed sprayer? Can you live the mixture in it?

• Julie Dever

I don't leave caustic or acidic solutions in any sprayer.....asking for trouble.

• Teresa

I have never heard of this vinegar. Where do you find it? Nurseries maybe or on line?

• Teresa

Never mind. I see you already answered this. Thank you!

• Barbara.mercer

how can you get rid of mice that come inside during the winter months?

• Patsy Young

I use peppermint oil. I had a lot of mice when I moved I to a house that had been unloved in for awhile, and had tried everything I heard about , but without any luck on getting rid of mice. I had heard that mice don't like the smell of mint so I bought the oil and used a dropper to drop in corners and under cabinets ,etc. I do this about every two weeks because I want to make sure the mice don't return. So far, I have had really good luck, but you have to like the smell. Personally I like it.

• Patsy Young

A house that had been unlived in.

• Lora

I like to rely on sticky traps, backed up by a cat.

• Mara

Get a cat! So many homeless cats. Save a life and get rid of mice. Win win situation.

• Elaine Casselman

Totally agree with Mara!! Adopt a cat or more!!

• Ginny

sticky traps should be outlawed. they are cruel causing the mice to die a slow miserable death. Better to get the pellet packets. Kills them quicker and of course adopt a cat or two!

• Mar9225446

I have tried almost every trap and zapper and poison and also cats. The best thing that worked for me was JAWZ. I caught 8 mice in a week.

• Barbara

Try using a botanical rodent repellent called fresh cab , I have not had a mouse in a year, you can find it on amazon

• Barbara.mercer

Okay what is JAWZ and where can you get it?

• Yvett

Peppermint tea bags ( after having the tea) 1 in each corner of the room and add little essential oil and no more mice

• Mbr8263436

Do you know how to kill a poplar tree? I've had it cut down and it keeps coming back and sprouting up from the roots.

• Sun9623366

bore holes about 1 inch diameter and add Epson salt to each hole.

• DB

If the tree is not too big you can girdle it---cut an inch wide ribbon of bark all the way around the circumference. Be sure to get through the inner bark (cambium layer). Option 2 cut back dost of the sprouts-- leave some leaves so you can spyay with round up but this way you won't have to use too much

• Jackie Byrd

Couldn't you boil/simmer regular white vinegar to get a more concentrated version? The horticultural version is $25 a gallon, and regular white vinegar is ~$3.40 a gallon.

• Lonelydad

That would depend on the boiling point of Acetic Acid as opposed to that of water. I would personally go to the nearest camera store and buy a bottle of Stop Bath, with is concentrated acetic acid. Then you can dilute it to whatever concentration you want.

• Jackie Byrd

Stop Bath runs $6.50 a pint. How is that better?

• Amy Fisher

I got the recipe, gal vinegar, 1 cup salt, and couple drops of blue dish soap , And it WORKS

• Apple cider or white?

• Yvett

I used white Vinegar 1 cup salt and Dish soap I didn't have the blue kind so I used what I had and it worked.

• Candi Huhn

I just tried plain apple cider vinegar and sprayed a few weeds and they were dead in 2 days. Why would your recipe be any better for my ground water

• Deni Payne

Would an online seed and garden company carry this?

• Merryl rothman

I don't know I have great success with plain old white vinegar from the grocery store.it may be that I have better success because I spray them when they are still young and their roots are not very established

• Linda

I bought thru Univ of WA

• Sandra Klimecko

Where to buy the horticultural vinegar?

• Phyllis Fowler

Keep beaking off new shoots, tree needs air to breath and for new shoots to appear, will take months . I have been sucsessful but not a poplar tree. Also if possible place black plasic bin liner.

• Carol Goins

Where to buy the horticultural vinegar?

• Nico

Where do you buy the horticulture vinegar? I'm googling and looking at amazon ! Amazon has everything :) if I'm lucky I'll come Back to answer :)!

• Nico

Hiiii I clicked on her blog and read some of the questions and answers and YES ! Amazon ! Hehe this lady wrote this .. also check out that the vinegar is really bad on you skin and can eat concrete ? Someone commented not sure about it tho ? Ok here she says amazon :)! Andrea Fabry says April 22, 2016 at 8:26 am Amazon carries it, Raia. Other sites online. I have not seen it at Home Depot or Lowe’s in my area.

• Gloria K. Vittek

Apple cider vinegar will work the same as horticulture vinegar

• Valerie

I have a fescue grass growing in my lawn any idea how to kill a lot of patches of it ? Chuck

• Sharontsuder

I have some kind of bulb plant that comes up every year. I remove what I think are all the bulbs, yet to my disgust they grow again. They have no flower , just tall leaves and smell like onions but they aren't. Gardeners have sprayed Round up. They came back. They dug up bulbs, more came back. It's like there is an endless supply of bulbs beneath the earth. I want them gone. HELP please.

• Shawna Bailey

Try this, it may also be part of a root system. So look around an make sure your spraying every part of it

• Anne Galbraith-Jellie

I'd try this idea as it sounds like crocosmia which are a type of tiny orange lily, when first planted, with lots of greenery. When they have been stressed by constant pulling out or cutting back, they stop growing flowers. They are tough cookies and you have to make sure every root is removed too. Good luck!

• Sharontsuder

Thank you

• Billie Brice Bynum

Do you think this will kill "wild" morning glory???

• Lac20930842

Any Ideas to kill Crabgrass?? It is in my flower bed's, I have tried carefully digging it out but you leave any of it and way it grows again! Lynda

• Eclipsebigdog

You may try applying weed killer with a small 1" throw away brush just to the part above ground. You need to apply carefully and not drip nor get on ground.

• Mar19155133

The roots are the problem here. That crab grass has so many roots. I would dig it out w/ a shovel and put thru a screen frame like they use for archaeological digs. That way you can get the roots out along w/ any other rocks or debri so you will end up w/ some nice clean fluffy soil....add so sand if it is too hard like clay .....mix well You are ready to replant. I NEVER recommend using toxic weed killer as it will soak down into the ground water. It's very harmful to the environment. Use the vinegar mixture to kill the grass/weeds. There are many recipes on line...just google natural weed killer. There are also some natural mixtures for eliminating any bugs that may find their way to your plants...sometime just spraying w/ the hose occasionally will rid the roses of aphids...and is not toxic....they may come back but just watch for them...

• Mar19155133

The screen frames are very easy to make.....construct a wood frame w/ reinforced corners and cover w/ garden cloth wire....there are different sizes holes of the garden cloth....I use the 1/4" or 1/2" size, depending on what the soil is like and what I want to achieve....

• Cecilia

Will you be able to plant anything in the spot wher you eradicated the invasive weed?

• Mar19155133

Yes, just wait about a week. Add a little new soil and turn and water the area some. Should be good for replanting. What kills the plants/weed/grass is when the spray is absorbed thru the leaves of the plant...

• Che16802035

Can you spray this on rocks that surround a tree it will it kill the tree roots?

• Mar19155133

I have done it and it has not killed the tree. What kills the grass is the mixture applied to the leaves of the grass or weeds....

• Georgia Kazma Clough

im loaded with Creeping Charlie. Will the vinegar solution work or do I have to buy an expensive chemical?
    • Gtb11410043

I would think it would kill everything around it, too - probably find the spray just for Creeping Charlie - better safe than sorry.

Georgia Barker
  • Cindy

Do you know how I can permanently kill the weeds?
  • Sandy.crager

Do you think this will kill Purslane out of our garden? It has taken over the entire garden, we've tried everything. I think it came with some of the veggie plants I picked up from the nursery.
    • Pol13312835

Why not just eat the Purslane ? Do a search on edible weeds . You will be surprised how many you can eat. Many are more nutritious than regular vegetables and they are FREE. Have a great day and "Eat your weeds "
    • Xen7221439

I was raised on purslane soup, warm or cold. It is delicious. Better before it goes to seed. I avoid using the stems, but in French cooking they do. It is like French leek soup, mainly potato, onion and after pureed add the purslane leaves and boil a few minutes, adding a few tablespoons of good olive oil.
      You can also add it to tomato sauces, or eat it raw in salads.
  • Bil12579974

what does Purslane look like?
  • Kris Heim

Does this kill the pant right down to the root, like Roundup?
  • Helene

Where do you get that kind of vinegar?
  • Los6674666

Where did you get the horticultural vinegar? I really want to try this!
    • Leona Lane

What stored
    • Can12858495

Sometimes Lowe's or Home Depot carry it, but more often than not, they need to order it for you and it runs $20-25/gallon. It's 20% vinegar, but I have used pickling vinegar (9-10% vinegar for
    • Los6674666

Thank you so much! Really appreciate this!
  • Theresa

Where do you find the inexpensive citrus oil?
  • Deb Cimasi

Where do you purchase horticultural vinegar an citrus oil? Thanks in advance.
  • Bau9843728

Do you work for Amazon

• Shirleyg

Will this kill Bermuda grass along a fence line or encroaching into a garden?

• Debbie Maddox Harsch

Will it hurt animals

• Melissa

where do you buy horticultural vinegar

• Margaret Swaim

Where do you get horiculture vinegar

• Carrie

dose this effectect flowers in the graden ?

• Neva Dew

from the post "Blend the two in a spray bottle and apply directly to weeds. Be sure to spray only the plants you are seeking to eliminate as this will kill any living plant in its path."

• Cynthia Anstey

Amazon has 30% horticultural vinegar. I dilute it a little (by a third) and add a little dish soap to help it stick to plants. It works faster than round up.

• Hope

I will most definitely try this!