Cindy Spencer
Cindy Spencer
  • Minden, LA

How do I get started on growing Peony and keeping them healty?

Lori JCatherine SmithMary Anderson
+1

I have tried 4 times to grow Peony's and I ordered them Burgess. The never grow beyond the stage I received them, like a piece of wood with roots. Someone told me I had to have big black ants for the peony to survive. I do not have these kind of ants. I would so love to have beautiful peony's in my yard.

I don't know where you are located, Cindy, but you have to have cold winters to have peonies. And you need good light, and well-draining soil. If you live in an area where they grow, a good local nursery should have them for sale. I think this is a much better route than buying them from a mail-order source, where you are likely to get a tiny one-eye division that will take years to amount to anything in your garden. For cultural tips, see: http://pss.uvm.edu/ppp/pubs/oh58.htm

• Mary Anderson

I had this problem with a peony I planted too deep. Once I raised it, it began to grow. They take a while to produce, but the wait is so worth it!

• Catherine Smith

I've used White Flower Farm for a couple of my peony plants. They are a bit more expensive, but their plants are very high quality and their customer service is excellent. Douglas is right, though, you have to have cold winters for them to bloom.

• Lori J

Another route is to see if you have a local 'Party Line' or radio call in show that features audio want ads--for sale, wanted, give away, etc. This can be a way to locate local plants, often freebees or trades. I am with Doug, go local.