Cathy Kurpil
Cathy Kurpil
  • Stuart, FL

I want to build a pergola

Patricia SwinfordCathy KurpilLouie
+10

Has anyone built a pergola? Do you have instructions to share?
Thanks so much!
  • KMS Woodworks

I did one for a client a couple years ago. The main columns are 6 x 6 rough cedar set with galvanized brackets in 10" dia concrete footers. the long beam runs are 4 x 8 rough cedar set in notched columns, the cross members are 4 x 6 cedar. the size is roughly 20 x 12 http://www.hometalk.com/533913/n-boulder-pergola

• Cathy Kurpil

It's beautiful! Although I'm thinking much more small scale for me :)! More like the size of an arbor...I have a very small yard and garden. Yours is so awesome though! You are truly a craftsman...

• Midway Fence & Decks

A Small Pergola is not very complicated and can be built on the ground. Think of it as building a ladder with the rungs overhanging about 10 to 12 inches and on ends. Angles can be cut on ends or keep square. Set your post in a square or rectangle to fit your space and pergola size. You can set on top of post or attach with post inside. You can put toppers on posts. Get creative. Use caution with power saws. You will want to still be able to count to ten and point out your handy work to friends when you finish.

• Cathy Kurpil

Ha,ha,ha, thanks Midway! I've never used a power saw, but I will be very careful! It sounds do able, though! Can't wait to get started!

• Jeannine Maranchuk

We built one in our front yard years ago that was small. It was 4 4x4 green treated 10ft (3ft in the ground set in quick crete). We spaced the 4x4 6ft apart. Then we built the top from 8ft green treated 2x4s.We ripped the very top 2x4s in half lengthwise to relieve some weight on the top. It was really cool. Then we planted Hops (fast growing) and then some some vines (Virginia Creeper)that grew slower. Hope this helps

q i want to build a pergola, diy, outdoor living, woodworking projects, This was the first year we built the pergola I added old sheers that I bought at a garage sale just put in some hooks old rodq i want to build a pergola, diy, outdoor living, woodworking projects, Top view gives you a better idea of what we did to make the top We just ripped 2x4x8 in half lengthwise to make the topq i want to build a pergola, diy, outdoor living, woodworking projects, Under the roof I put screw hooks up to attack clear rope lighting ran an extension cord up the side of one poleq i want to build a pergola, diy, outdoor living, woodworking projects, This was the last year we were at that address in Manitoba As you can see the plants especially the hops has taken over the structure I took down the curtains after 3 years We were there for 6 years after we landscapedq i want to build a pergola, diy, outdoor living, woodworking projects, We liked the pergola out front so much we built a fence a couple of years later to replace the existing good neighbour fence
  • See More
  • Cathy Kurpil

Thanks Jeannine good ideas! Have any pictures? I'd love to see it! And thanks to Euroshield for hooking me up with the free plans and freebies website!

• KMS Woodworks

@Jeannine Maranchuk Wow the hops did really well....I visited a small brew pub once that had some hops grow out in their back patio...in the late summer they would let you pick some "flowers" and top off your IPA with some fresh hops. It was pretty cool.

• Not a pergola, but could be made into one... this was a project for a customer to surprise his wife.

q i want to build a pergola, diy, outdoor living, woodworking projectsq i want to build a pergola, diy, outdoor living, woodworking projectsq i want to build a pergola, diy, outdoor living, woodworking projectsq i want to build a pergola, diy, outdoor living, woodworking projects
  • Louie

try to get a "kit". i know home depot has them, i do not know the price, but thats a start, good luck and post some pictures if you get it done, i love to see them louie.

• Cathy Kurpil

Jeannine your pergola was beautiful as was your yard. I bet you hated to leave!

• Cathy Kurpil

Thanks Louie never thought of that!

• Patricia Swinford

there are patterns and designs on the computor .I have a large one that we purchased , but it looks easy to do .Takes a little time to round every thing up I have an alumium in black on my patio which is 10x10 or 10x12 It really looks nice

• Your comment...