Ri D
Ri D
  • Alpharetta, GA
Asked on Apr 11, 2012

Where can I get free tree clippings for mulch, and are they safe to use?

JESTONECIPHERSusan ArringtonDeb B
+6

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

Check your city or county municipal folks. Some of them offer free mulch.

• 3po3

Also check craigslist. The only problem is that it's not necessarily weed-free, and it's not typically as uniform or attractive as the commercial stuff.

I would check with the county as well. Ours often has free mulch available, although it does vary in quality.

• Call any local tree service company and they'd probably bring you a load....like Redfern or Tomahawk in your area

• Walter Reeves

Unless you have a LOT of area to cover and a LOT of help, ask for a partial load of chips.

• Deb B

i used wood chips 5 inches thick in my north flower bed and now 5 years later i have good soil but the risk of bugs is great so i spray my garage with an organic bug mix i have even sprayed soil before

• Deb B

my village put clipping out by the fair grounds check with the utilities in your area where i would start and i would advise no wood untreat close to your home we put rock around the base but i has it's issues too! In Nebraska that is!

• Susan Arrington

My backyard twice a month :) ....we always use ours.

• JESTONECIPHER

I was told by a tree person not to use these chips/mulch from felled trees. Many of the trees taken down are due to disease and you can actually spread those diseases to your own trees.