How to Dry Herbs

Knowing how to dry herbs is very simple.
First, you need to grow some herbs. I usually grow parsley, basil, oregano, and sage. Of course, fresh herbs are the best. Add some fresh basil to a salad or pizza and you will never forget the flavor. Like all things in the garden, there is a season ~ and then the season ends.
Where herbs are concerned, they bolt. That means they shoot out stalks, flower, and then make seeds. The best time to pick herbs is before they bolt. For me, that is right now.
how to dry herbs, flowers, gardening, I only cut away about 75 of this parsley plant I want to allow the plant to come back not for more parsley instead I am leaving a little food for the monarch larvae They will strip every last parsley leaf come back and do it over and over
I only cut away about 75% of this parsley plant. I want to allow the plant to come back ~ not for more parsley, instead, I am leaving a little food for the monarch larvae. They will strip every last parsley leaf, come back, and do it over and over.
how to dry herbs, flowers, gardening, Trust me when I say that this will be plenty of parsley for me and Mr Seasoned Homemaker Once dried it should last for months
Trust me when I say that this will be plenty of parsley for me and Mr. Seasoned Homemaker. Once dried, it should last for months.
how to dry herbs, flowers, gardening, Next I pull out my trusty food dehydrator I know that some people like to hang their herbs to dry Do this once and you will go out and purchase a food dehydrator I purchased mine at Walmart but they are available at Target and Amazon
Next, I pull out my trusty food dehydrator. I know that some people like to hang their herbs to dry. Do this once and you will go out and purchase a food dehydrator. I purchased mine at Walmart, but they are available at Target and Amazon.
how to dry herbs, flowers, gardening, I layer my herbs onto the 4 trays and stack them according to the dehydrator s instructions Then I set my dehydrator on the lowest setting 95 degrees on my model and let it dry for 12 20 hours When they crumble they are done
I layer my herbs onto the 4 trays and stack them according to the dehydrator's instructions. Then, I set my dehydrator on the lowest setting (95-degrees on my model) and let it dry for 12-20 hours. When they crumble, they are done.
how to dry herbs, flowers, gardening, You can also use your oven to dehydrate Set your oven on 90 95 degrees and place herbs on a cookie sheet Personally I don t like doing this because it ties up the oven for one or two days
You can also use your oven to dehydrate. Set your oven on 90-95 degrees and place herbs on a cookie sheet. Personally, I don't like doing this because it ties up the oven for one or two days.
The Seasoned Homemaker

• Silvan Johnson

I'm trying all the different methods for preserving herbs, hanging, in the dehydrator and now I'll try freezing them. Great ideas everybody, thanks for sharing!

• Annette White

Dry herbs have SO much more flavor! After throwing away parsley before I could get to it, I now by fresh, cut off the stems, and dry them in the oven on low. So much more taste, and worth the .99 a bunch!! I freeze bunches of fresh Kale in zip lock bags for our green drinks every morning. They come out very well!!