Chellby D
Chellby D
  • Canon City, CO
Asked on Apr 11, 2012

I would like a raised flowe bed about 3' high. Any suggestions.

John Madison Landscape, Inc.Chellby DBecky H
+5

I would like a raised flower bed to help define my patio by the kitchen. This will also help with privacy since I live on a corner and it is facing the street. Any ideas on building materials would be appreciated.
  • Tina S

I would take a look at square foot gardening beds. There are some very creative gardeners out there. I've seen raised beds using edging stones that are beautiful too.

• 360 Sod (Donna Dixson)

6x6 treated timbers. You can get them at your local big box store and even have them cut them for you to the size you need. What are the exact dimensions you are hoping to achieve? You possible could use cedar, prettier but more expensive.

• 3po3

Someone posted this idea for a flower bed made out of an old pallet. Cheap and creative: http://www.hometalk.com/138079/built-planter-box-out-of-an-old-pallet Just be careful if you ever plan on growing vegetables in there, as most pallet wood is treated and not food-safe. Of course, regular lumber works, too.

• Garden Inspire

If you decide to plant any edibles - now or in the future - avoid pressure treated wood due to the chemicals. Cedar and redwood are naturally rot and insect resistant. Trex or other composite decking is another material you may want to consider. You could add a trellis for a vine to increase privacy.

• Walter Reeves

In my opinion, the new type of treated wood (ACQ, YellaWood, etc) poses few health risks.

• Becky H

I have made a raised bed from the solid concrete wall blocks, with landscape fabric behind them to retain the soil. It just depends upon the look you may be trying to achieve as to what you use around the bed.

• Chellby D

WOW, these are some great ideas. I do plan on growing vegetables, so will look into the cement block idea and explore fininshing treatments. Thanks to everyone.

• You may want to consider using Engineered Blocks. They are easy to install with no mortar needed. We do these a lot for our customers. Very cost effective.