Sherry
Sherry
  • New Kensington, PA

Hummingbirds

SharonGailSherry
+3

I have 6 hummingbird feeders with sugar water in them and I have red flowers plus other flowers around so the hummers can feed from plants. Ive seen about 2 at the feeders every once in a while...is there anything I can do to bring more hummingbirds to the feeders???... please help.....I love watching these fascinating little birds and taking pictures...someday I want to feed them from my hand....
  • Janice Phillips (JP)

Hummingbirds are territorial. You may want to try removing all but 2 feeders and see what happens.

• Robyn

I have 5 feeders and I love them too. When I first put them in I put in a little more sugar to the sugar/water ratio as I read that in the wild some flowers have sweeter nectar than others. That attracts them to stay, and then you can reduce to the regular ratio. I start all my feeders this way. Also, birds won't drink out of a feeder that has bugs in it or if the solution is getting old. Here in Phoenix I have to change my solution every few days while it is around 100 degrees and when it gets hotter I will change it even more frequently than that. Please let us know if any of our ideas work! Oh, I also put a red silk flower attached to the actual feeder itself.

• Theresa Shaut

In this case I don't think more is better, I think 6 is to many. Maybe cut down to 3 further apart? I have one hummer feeder and they are here all the time - year after year. (also have 2 suet, 3 other feeders). Have it hanging close to a tree where they like to sit and defend their feeder.

• Sherry

hummingbird feeders....I will have to put them near a tree now....I did separate the feeders ...

• Gail

I have 2 feeders right on my back porch about 6 feet apart and one is right outside my kitchen window and back door. I'm in Western NY but like Robyn said have to keep it clean and keep ants out. I see your in PA when do you put yours out? I watch a migration map and get mine out early. If weather has been warmer Aprilish, but always by May 1st. for me. Good luck and don't give up I too am a hummer lover.

• Sharon

I have read that hummingbirds will only inhabit a yard if there is a fresh water source nearby. A birdbath may be all that you need. I hope you have success!