Pam Smith
Pam Smith
  • Hanford, CA

Springtime Concrete Painted Planter

$10.00

Are you ready for spring? I am! I couldn't wait to get a few new things on my patio and decided to make these cute planters to spruce things up a bit. A little paint and some plants and your are ready to go.
springtime concrete painted planter, concrete masonry, container gardening, crafts, gardening
I started out with 2 cement blocks purchased at Lowes. I cleaned them up with a stiff bristle brush and then sprayed them with paint that was about the same color as the blocks themselves.
I found this stencil at Lowes.com, but anything will work as long as it fits on the block. I cut out my pieces and then attached them using tape. Make sure your edges are down tightly.
I spray painted the whole thing turquoise, using two coats of paint. I also did the sides and back.
I had some number stencils, so I did my second block with our address.
I carefully removed the paper stencils and then sprayed the whole thing with clear varnish. I added some plants and they were all done! You can see more on my blog at HomeontheCorner.com.
Pam Smith

• Gue29353978

I would like to make a bend out of blocks do u have any ideas
    • Garth Myers

Do you mean bench? If so you could use four 16x8 cinder blocks, two stacked on each side as your legs, fill openings with wet cement to make them sturdy and create a bench seat in the shape that you want out of concrete and river rock or other mix that appeals to you. I have seen it done by digging a shallow 3 inch "frame" in the ground, it could be oblong or kidney shape and line it with thick plastic. Sprinkle the smooth river rock for design and cover with concrete. Don't get carried away with size or it will be too heavy to lift. I would guess about 18" deep by 36" long. Allow to cure fully then lift out of ground, remove plastic and place with decorated side up on top of "legs".

• 54631505086

Very nice. Where did you get the concrete?
    • Vickie

The first thing she said was, "I started with two concrete blocks from Lowe's".
  • Deb

How do you keep the blocks together? If someone bumps them, or basically big dogs. My dogs would knock them apart.