Tammy Cowell
Tammy Cowell
  • Canada

How to paint kitchen cabinets without sanding

Follow your HJeffrey WhitmerTammy Cowell
+4

I have what I believe are oak kitchen cabinets in my kitchen. My question is, I really don't want to sand them. Is there a way to get around that? Thanks
  • Lori Bryant

There is a special kind of cleaner you can get at Lowes or home depot. Can't think of the name of it. Think it is something like SPE?? You wash your cabinents with it and dry them thoroughly. There is also a liquid sandpaper you can paint on and paint over. You should be able to find it at the same places above.

• Lori Bryant

oops! You may not have those places in Canada. A hardware store should have them.

• Tammy Cowell

Thank you very much Lori. At least I have an idea of what to look for. I appreciate your help. Have a great night.

• Melissa

Think she may be thinking of TSP. It is something you use to clean the grease, dirt, grime, off of the cabinets before painting. It leaves a rough finish that holds paint well.

• Tammy Cowell

Thank you Melissa.

• Jeffrey Whitmer

No. It is probably finished with an alkyd (oil) product.. Prime with oil based (flat) primer.

• Follow your H

Use a KILZ primer. You can get them at HD and most DIY type stores.