Making a Hummingbird Water and Bathing Tray Out of a Cookie Sheet

I saw a video of Hummingbirds flying though a spray of water that was made out of a large oil pan. I knew immediately that I wanted to make one for the hummingbirds that take up residence in the tree in my front yard. I wanted the bathing tray to be located very close to where the hummingbird feeders hang. I asked my hubby if he would help me on this project. I wanted the bathing tray to be mounted on the tree instead of a table. I wanted it out of the way of the lawn mower. So my husband sat down and sketched out how he wanted to build it.
You will need wood for the boards, cookie sheet, piping for the spray bar, a bucket or container or the water flow, fountain pump, brackets if mounting onto tree, screws, conduit fittings and spray paint.
The first board was cut to 15 1/2 by 24 inches.
Used four shelf brackets - two for the top board that will hold the water tray, and two brackets for the bottom board that will hold the bucket.
Mount board on brackets. The top board needs to be off level to drain water correctly.
½ inch PVC Pipe and fittings to make spray bar. Measure and cut to fit pan. I used a large cookie sheet.
Mount spray bar to cookie sheet with 1/2 inch electrical conduit hangers.
Used 80 - 155 Gallon per hour fountain pump with flow adjustment on pump. I bought mine at Lowe's.
Used 3/8 plastic clear tubing to connect from pump to the spray bar.
Used 1/8 inch drill bit for spray bar. The number of holes can be your choice. Spacing is three inches apart on my bar.
Cut a V groove into top board for pan drain hole clearance.
The drain hole diameter needs to be matched to the pump output so the water does not overflow from pan. Start by using a small drill bit, and if you have spillage over the pan, then go up a drill bit size. It took three different sizes of drill bits to make the correct sized hole.
Arrange bottom shelf to allow the pan to drain back into bucket.
Rotate the spray bar to get desired spray effect.
I painted the boards red, added rocks and a silk flower to the water tray to attract the hummingbirds. Hope the hummers can't resist the sound of running water, and come take their bath in the water tray. I can't wait for the hummers to return to the tree in my front yard this year!.

15 Genius Ways to Organize Your Bedroom
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
These Bathroom Makeovers Might Inspire You To Update Your Own
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
18 Beautiful Crafts For The 4th of July
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
30 Ideas To Make Your Office Look Great
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
21 Clever Wind Chimes You Can Make

• Aiokersonalicea1

Usually the hummingbirds are spring and summer when it comes to the water.

If they stick around during the winter and you keep your feeders. That's reason why they're around. Our hummingbirds will not use the bird bath until spring and summer.

• Tammy

Please post a video this spring of them actually using it! I love hummingbirds and would love to see them in action! Thanks for the wonderful idea.