Jimmy S
Jimmy S
  • Brooks, GA
Asked on Apr 12, 2012

Had septic lines redone last fall and planted fescue seed where the yard was dug up. Now I have two different looks

Jimmy SDouglas Hunt3po3
+4

going on. I actually like the fescue better. Will fescue ever take over the existing grass or do I have to plant fescue seed into the existing grass and hope fescue outgrows the existing grass. Or rent a bobcat and take up the existing grass which might get expensive?
  • 3po3

I would start with overplanting with fescue. It's pretty cheap, and the worst case scenario is that it doesn't take, but you will still have your existing grass.

• Jimmy S

Thank you. Is this possible with a pitch fork or do you have to rent a aerator?

What is your existing grass?

• Jimmy S

Mr. Hunt. I dont know. When searching online, the only thing I saw close was bahia and dallisgrass. Not sure if these are considered weeds or grass?

• 3po3

I don't think you need to rent an aerator. I would just spread the fescue seed and water and fertilize it in. How vigorously is your current grass growing?

Bahia is definitely a type of grass; dallisgrass would probably be considered a weed. I ask because if you have something like Bermuda or St. Augustine the fescue will never take over.

• Jimmy S

The current grass is not really that vigorous of a growing grass. So I might try that and see if it will begin to fill in and take over the bahia grass. Thanks so much for your guys answers