Elaine T
Elaine T
  • Skaneateles, NY

What is this?

KattDouglas HuntJulie Bruno
+8

This grows by runners. It begins small and grow to 5 feet or so. It is hollow except for a viscous substance,and is segmented
q what is this, gardening
  • Mikell Paulson

Looks like Bamboo!

Arghh! I'm sure someone else has asked about this on Hometalk but I cannot remember what it is! Does it bloom?

• Tammy

Hmm, does it have thorns or such? If so maybe Smilacs?

• Kat

its Japanese Knotweed and needs to be uprooted, the roots seem to be extremely invasive and are all attached to a bulb...i'm still trying to fix my issue but it takes a while and a lot of work...enjoy!

• Elaine T

@Kat thank you that is what it is...I pulled al I could and will again in the spring

• Su

before you go killing it....read this ....http://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/Plants.Folder/Knotweed.html

• Julie Bruno

Knotweed is so invasive that it grew under my parents' house about 30' from the source, into their 1720's dirt cellar, rubble foundation. It knew it needed light so it grew up, through the floor boards, unseated their linoleum, separated the cove molding from the baseboard and into the bathroom when they finally saw it. Nasty stuff. And since it is not native, no one felt bad about trying to eradicate it.

• Katt

I have something very similar in my yard. In Georgia It grows on very thin stems coming from a roundish type tubor that is often beep in the ground. The roots that come off the tubor will go on for what seems like forever. When the shoots come above ground they have thorns and leaves that don't seem to get any larger then 2" or so. They are very invasive and the only way I know to get rid of thnm to to dig up the tubors. Weed and grass killer will do nothing to them. Does any one know what this are and the best way to rid yourself of it? I have them growing under very large pines that make it difficult.

Katt, it sounds like you may have smilax. See these suggestions from Hometalk member and Georgia Gardener Walter Reeves: http://www.walterreeves.com/landscaping/smilax-id-and-control/

• Katt

Douglas, Thanks for the help on that. That site was very helpful. I should have known that Walter would have the scoop in that. I just found this site the other day. I'm really enjoying all the great information.