Double Duty Plant Stand/ Bird Bath From Repurposed Junk

I took some old junk and look how awesome a little imagination turned it into a beautiful multipurpose piece.
Materials used
Materials used
I had some junk pieces laying aroung in my garage and I got a brilliant idea. I had some top post pieces from my old 4 poster bed, an old wooden plate I picked up from a thrift store some years ago, and an old outdoor utility light shade.
I began by spraying the shade with dollar store grey weatherproof primer paint.
double duty plant stand bird bath from repurposed junk, outdoor furniture, repurposing upcycling
Next I decided to use up some old dollar store marble gems to make a mosaic on the lamp shade. I decided to use clear silicone sealant to glue the gems on. I began by just laying out a pattern filling in as I go.
Laying out a flower pattern first
Filling in like a puzzle.
Here is the finished result of that step.
I then painted the post and wooden plate with the grey primer, then lightly brushed a exterior flat white paint to get a distressed look once the primer dried.
Here's the plate.
I then glued and screwed the two post together, screwed the plate onto one end and gave the whole peice a coat of weatherproof matte clear coat.
After the silicone glue dried, I grouted the marbled shade, sanded and polished everything, then sealed with grout sealant. I then painted inside a pretty blue shade.
Afterwards I screwed the marbled base to the other end using a screw and washers painted blue to match,then put clear silicone sealant around washer to make it have a seal.
And viola, a plant stand one way, flip it to a bird bath. So beautiful. Love the way it turned out.
Bird bath.
Plant stand.
Paints and grout sealer used.

• Spray paints, grey primer, blue, and clear coat. Silicone sealant, grout, and grout sealer. Three wa  (Got all materials at lowes)

• Brook Hasz Graybill

If you had to do it again, would you paint the inside prior to gluing on the stones or was it simpler to do it the way you did? Just wondering how to keep the edges looking crisp and not end up spraying/painting the grout and stones.

• Ard7370318

Wow, very cute and so creative of you. I think I'd just put a pretty flower pot in the bowl end or better yet use a cheap plastic hanging pot minus it's chain for a more formed fit and paint it to match your pretty stand. Very pretty!

• Liliana Wells

Do you think the grey primer and white paint are safe for the birds? Thanks

• Jewellmartin

Yes. In another comment, @sheri.u328 goes into detail about using water based paints to be safe, instead of oil or petroleum paints. Several people had the same question.

• Bec219589

I too want to know if the paint used on the birdbath is safe for both birds and other animals that may use it?

• Alice

Sooo pretty, and the stones help keep the birdbath stable plus being beautiful design. GREAT job !!!

• Deb

This is a beautiful bird bath and a great idea I’m going to do ! However I am going to use something shallow, wider not as deep because birds need to have the ability to stand in it to bathe And splash around but what a great idea and use of leftovers, and I’m sure you could put a finish on it to waterproof it and protect the birds and critters ! Great idea thanks!