Porch on a brick ranch?

DehumphriesWanda sinnemaCherol
+16

We have been wanting to replace out concrete front step with wood and have thought about a porch also. Only the roof line goes the length of the house. We have about a 1.5 ft overhang off the roof. (fascia?) how would we tie in a porch roof?
front of brick ranch with planter box
  • Cherol

You should have shown a full view. However, you can add a porch to the front of a ranch home, and completely change the look and style of the home. I had thought about ranch home but they lack charm. You would need to increase the foot print of the roof also. I had thought about buying a brick ranch. one of the 1st things is to decide how large of a porch do you want; it could be small or run the entire length of the house. I would add a pouch that was 60% of the length of the house. I have the roof of the porch in front of the door be raise into an A-line pitch higher than the current roof. I would paint the brick. I would use one of the two color schemes: 1. body-grey, shutters-black, door-red, and trim-white, roof-black grey coloration or 2. body-taupe, shutters brown or dark taupe, trim-cream, door-dark teal, roof shingles brown taupe coloration. I will not look like the same house. Just goggle ranch homes with front porches.

• Dff11150295

Keep in mind adding a roof over your windows is going to cut off light to the inside of your house. But since you hate the look now, it might be worth it to you.
  • Cherol

Yes she may lose some light but the change will be significant and it will bring charm and character to a ranch home. I would also make all front facing windows full length.
  • Wanda sinnema

I also have a ranch-- Yes the front entry is horrible.. 1 step and a 3 X 3 slab..In the last couple of weeks HGTV has had several redo's on FIXER UPPER.. I'd take any one of them.. From a dormer style entry pulled out front to a FULL front porch... check it out.. I love Joanna Gaines ideas,, cute couple....nice family
  • Dehumphries

Is there any chance you'd use a porch? It can add curb appeal and extra outdoor living space, however if this is west facing you have to consider the sun and if applicable heat!