DIY Key Wind Chime

I feel a little bad writing this post for those of you who don't live in California. I made sun tea yesterday. Yep it's February and I am soaking in the sun- sorry. Or am I? Hahaha- but really. This craft is a fun way to add some rustic detail and charm to any part of the yard. Not only is it easy and low maintenance but the kids can get involved and the chances of you having all the supplies lying around are high....
I love the sound of wind chimes, but not the annoying ones that wake you up in the middle of the night with a loud ruckus- the gentle ones that are like a little bird just chirping. You feel me? You probably have seen wind chimes with sea glass, seashells, old silverware, etc. But have you seen old keys? Ever wonder what to do with those old sets of keys that you have no idea what they go to? Make a wind chime! Now I must say a disclaimer- to make your wind chime sound extra triumphant you will want a good amount of keys. Like 15? You may not have that many lying around but if you hit up your local Home Depot or Hardware store they generally have a "reject" bucket and are happy to dispose of them into your bag. Just saying. (I did that!)
Photo Credit Anya McInroy
To make this craft you need to go collect a branch...yep another classic zest move.
I had to use some vicious muscles to break that bad boy...
Simply thread each key with a different length piece of yarn...
Make a large loop around the branch and tie securely...
One down, just a few more to go....
They may want to tangle- be patient!
Now for my branch support, I am using a thicker piece of yarn to hang my branch from a tree...
Ahhh I am in love! (insert heart eyed emoji!)
It has been so lovely to hear the chimes while sitting on the patio

Zest it Up

• Linette Templeman

Have you tried old lamp shades,for the round metal circle. Then hang I object n the middle to make them chime makes such pretty wind chimes. It's is great also

• Margaret

I definitely want to try this. What could I use as support to hold the keys, and attach it to my house?
    • Debbie

Whenever I need to repair my chimes I use catfish line. It looks like black twine and it's super strong. I got it at Walmart in the sporting goods dept. I met a man who made chimes and he told me about it. Holds up much longer than twine and easier to tie than fishing line.

• Julie Green

would fishing line work string will rot