Karen Manasco
Karen Manasco
  • Hulbert, OK

How to Make Lace-like Stepping Stones

A step-by-step tutorial for turning ordinary stepping stones into beautiful works of art for your garden. An easy project of low cost for high impact.
how to make lace like stepping stones, crafts, gardening, outdoor living, Such an easy project and YES you can do it Ordinary stepping stones turned into something beautiful will make you WANT to get out there and pull the weeds just to see the results
Such an easy project, and YES, you can do it! Ordinary stepping stones turned into something beautiful will make you WANT to get out there and pull the weeds just to see the results.
how to make lace like stepping stones, crafts, gardening, outdoor living, A few supplies you most likely have on hand and you re ready to begin
A few supplies you most likely have on hand, and you're ready to begin.
how to make lace like stepping stones, crafts, gardening, outdoor living, Grab a stack of stepping stones scrub them well and allow them to thoroughly dry
Grab a stack of stepping stones, scrub them well and allow them to thoroughly dry.
how to make lace like stepping stones, crafts, gardening, outdoor living, Lay a lace like doily fabric or anything with a unique pattern to it over your stepping stone and spray away with paint
Lay a lace-like doily, fabric, or anything with a unique pattern to it over your stepping stone, and spray away with paint.
how to make lace like stepping stones, crafts, gardening, outdoor living, Allow the paint to dry remove the doily and then spray with sealer
Allow the paint to dry, remove the doily, and then spray with sealer.
how to make lace like stepping stones, crafts, gardening, outdoor living, Look closely Yep you guessed it Glow in the dark spray over the existing paint
Look closely. Yep, you guessed it! Glow-in-the-dark spray over the existing paint.
Karen Manasco

• Dee

What sor of paint please. Live in England and it's not always possible to buy the paint needed.thanks. Dee

• Lynda

Doesn’t the paint build up after you’ve done a few pavers, then the pattern would not come through as well. Did you rinse out the doilie, or have more than one?

• D

I’m wondering the same. If you let the paint dry with the doilie on the stone doesn’t it stick?

• Fritas

I would think you could just rinse the patterned doile. The paint is water soluble.

• 9530106

The spray paint isn't water soluble, so I think it would probably build up in the doily fairly quickly, as well as stick to the paver. Hmm, the paper or plastic ones would be better IMHO.

• Beth

No, do not let the doily dry ON the paver. Once you have spray-painted it, pull up the doily.

• Elizabeth Pullan

I think your pattern would be compromised by the paint, and not come out clear after a few stones, and

what a shame to ruin such a lovely doily they take a lot of work to make.

• Elsie

Ddollar Store dollies my friend!

• Dee

Awesome! I have a lace tablecloth. Think I will try it with that, by laying lots of stepping stones on cardboard, and spray paint the

pattern on a large group at the same time. Think this will work ok?

Thanks

• Jha22314066

I think that's a brilliant idea!

• Janice

The tablecloth idea sounds fantastic! I bet it will work just great!

• Jennifer

Yea, that sounds great! So much faster and plus they won't all look exactly the same.

• Missy Burch

i think i may try power washing my patio, throw down a table cloth(if i can find one cheap at goodwill) & do that idea. seems like a much easier idea.

• Jennifer Himbert Sandahl

If it was a round cloth that technique would give a mandala look to it too! Great idea!

• Kim

Ooohhh! Jennifer, I love the mandala idea, maybe for a patio base or fire pit area!

• Kim

• Linda

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!!!!!!!!

• Laura Adolphus Hathcoat

So then don't use a good table cloth or doily that grandma made. They tend to get stained and are often found cheap at garage sales and thrift shops. The whole doily doesn't have to be perfect. I think it's a lovely idea. 😊

• Laura Adolphus Hathcoat

Dee, my only concern might be smudging when removing the cloth when working so large, but great idea! Certainly several at a time should be do-able!

• Jo

What kind of sealer?

• Jennifer Himbert Sandahl

If you use cement stepping stones you can get a concrete sealant. Just make sure the end finish isn’t too slick

• Sharon Rose

Why not buy a plastic doilies at the dollar store and use just as you would any other stencil?

• Barb

That that is an excellent idea and extremely cost-efficient!

• Karen Manasco

Sharon, in the detailed link, the tutorial mentions that is what I used. :-)

• Vicki

I went to link to see how much the sealer was, and it says not intended for outdoor or exposed surfaces. Does it hold up anyway?

• Ronnette Foster Dean

There are sealers to use outdoors, visit a Lowe’s, Home Depot or even Wal Mart.

Rust oleum has a clear sealer to use on outdoor items.

• Vicki

• Karen Manasco

Vicki, I just used what I had on hand at the time. You will need to determine the sealer based on your weather and such. :-)

• Zaida Nieves-Sanchez

The glow in the dark spray is applied before or after removing the doily?

• P.j. Trpster

It doesn’t say. I know if it were me I would apply it before so the outline of the doily glowed.

• Diana Mcclard

Says to remove doilies after paint dries. The spray with sealer let dry . Then spray with glow in dark paint

• Shelley Douglas

If you want the pattern to show up at night I would spray the glo while the doily was still on!

• Joe Jones

I think she didn’t say because it’s obvious you can’t spray in that pattern so the doily has to be on on the stones you use it on.

• Brenda Henderson Lanham

She spray painted the stones let dry then spray with glow in the dark paint let dry, remove doily then spray with sealer.

• Christine Corelli-DeSimone

I love this, could you glue the doily on... then add a sealant?

• Mcgypsy9

If you mean can you leave the doily on permanently the answer is no not with just a sealant. I don’t know if resin can be used outdoors but that would be an option if it could.

• Love this but how do you keep the doily from sticking on the stone once the paint is dried?

• Heather Norman-Parker

How long will the paint last and does it peal over time?

• Kyp Purifoy

Wow! What a cool idea! Very neat!

• Deb

I really would love to do this in my pathways! Thanks for sharing a great idea!