Linda Dann
Linda Dann
  • Glassboro, NJ

I need a 'step down' from my pond to the lawn.

Linda DannLori JAquascape Inc.
+6

Hard to see in the photo- but for me to get 'down' from a raised pond bed- I risk injury as I have a problem leg. It's not all that high-maybe a foot or so to the lawn- stepping up is easy- and a bridge would be absurd- but I need something as this leg needs support-
What you see as the bottom of the photo is the place where I have to jump to get to the lawn
From there it's about a 6 inch drop and steep.
q i need a step down from my pond to the lawn, gardening, landscape, outdoor living, ponds water features
  • Lori J

I can really identify with this. We have a step into our garage that is just too darned high. I had asked repeatedly that my husband help me address this problem, but he was unconvinced until I took a fall. What turned out to just the right solution were cement block capstones that are about four inches or so high and around 11 inches deep. Just what I needed to feel safe and no more falls.

• Linda Dann

Do you have a photo of these- I cannot quite picture them!

• Lori J

Keep in mind, we already had a massive concrete 'step'--homemade by some previous owner, but with a huge single step down into the garage, so this just split (more life one/quartered) the difference, but I like the depth. Half the dept would have felt awkward.

• Rocky Mountain WaterScape

I would suggest getting rid of the small wobbly stones and put a larger flat rock in that would be sturdier and act as a stair step, maybe even an slanted rock. These small stones look unstable and dangerous. Larger rocks and fewer of them will improve the look of your feature, also. Will appear more natural and less human stacked. Adding some marginal plants will also add softness and beauty to the margin.

• Aquascape Inc.

I like Rocky Mountain Waterscape's solution. Larger rocks and a flat one that can act as a stepping stone.

• Lori J

I like the big stone, but don't slant them. They can be slippery when wet and the poster is concerned about her balance/stability.

• Linda Dann

Thanks so much for the advice!

• Linda Dann

Great- now I will have to figure out how to manage getting these rocks- new and old in place- but I get the concept and it sounds like the answer.