Asked on Apr 13, 2012

Wood type/ species?

Teresa Seeger-GesserAnnie DohertyGladys
+4

I have these chairs I picked up at an estate sale. I need help in identifying what wood are the legs made from.
A bit of History- the owner told me he grew up with these chairs and they are about 35 years. I do not see a maker label as the chairs were reupholstered 12 years ago.
KMS, where art thou? Can you identify or at least ball park?
wood type species, painted furniture, woodworking projects
  • 3po3

I have no idea, but why do you need to know. I have seen your work, and you can transform these into works of beauty no matter what the wood is.

• Beth A

My grandmother's furniture from that same time period had all mahogany wood. The dark wood is really beautiful when matched with the right fabrics and accent pieces.

• KMS Woodworks

Unfortunately the pic quality is not there for me to see well enough. common in many older high quality furniture was the use of mahogany...if the old finish was stripped away it might be better to see. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahogany

• John P

i have to agree with kms it could be mahogany, cherry or even an oak i have even seen some older legs made from poplar and stained dark

• Gladys

Can't tell from the picture either. Go by the pattern of the grain, not the color of the stain.

• Annie Doherty

Looking at the style and age of the chairs I would say that these legs are Mahogany. I believe that these chairs are much older than 35 years old possibly between 70 and 80 years old. Looking at the shape of the legs and the work that these entailed, I would say that these are definitely hardwood. Just an opinion, it would be interesting to have the chairs dated as they are lovely, Thanks for sharing.

• Teresa Seeger-Gesser

Try doing a Google image search 😀