Louise
Louise
Asked on Apr 13, 2012

I need to clean and seal my deck. Problem is, I have 3 dogs who go outside via the deck. I'm thinking once I clean the

Peace Painting Co., Inc.LouiseLaura D
+2

deck, it will have to dry thoroughly before sealing it, right? But during that time, the dogs' feet will deposit loose dirt, which, of course, I can sweep off before sealing, but could I cover it with a tarp and let it dry underneath that or will that mess up the drying process? But then, from what I understand, once it's clean and dry, I put on the sealant. But then IT has to dry -- what, 24 or 48 hrs? -- before anyone can walk on it. The only thing I've been able to figure out is that the dogs will have to be taken out front on leashes during that drying time. Right? This is going to be a hassle. Is there another way, short of boarding them during that time, which will become expensive?
  • Peace Painting Co., Inc.

It's a dogs world. A little dirt is not a problem, just damp sponge it off. Look at the drying time for foot traffic on your stain, they are different. Best, Chas.

• Louise

Do you happen to know of one that dries faster than others? Someone told me Cabot is a good one, but I know nothing about any of them.

• Laura D

Just did my deck with Cabot, cleaned the day before the yellow pollen showed up in full force so had to wait more than a week for it to dry from cleaning then the pollen to calm down. Put the stain down late in the afternoon and let the dog go out in the morning. It was fine.

• Louise

That's great to know, Laura. So, less than 24-hours drying time and it was OK. That would eliminate lots of hassle with 12 feet running on the deck. Thanks.

• Peace Painting Co., Inc.

Most every stain can be walked on in 24 hrs.