Patricia B
Patricia B
  • Morristown, TN
Asked on Apr 13, 2012

My neighbor has a very bad roach problem. They have children so they want to know what to use to get rid of them that wi

Sue DagueNew Era Pest ControlPam
+9

My neighbor has a very bad roach problem. They have children so they want to know what to use to get rid of them that will be safe.
  • Sherrie S

Patricia B, the ONLY way to get rid of a bad roach problem is to call a company with expertise in that area. The children a can be harmed if the neighbor tries to do it herself/himself and they will not be able to stop the problem; they will only coverup the problem.

• 3po3

I agree with Sherrie. I would have them call in a pro. If they have to apply some nasty, toxic stuff, at least they will know what they are doing, and will tell them how long they have to be out of the home to be safe.

• Keller Pest Control

The first thing we need to do is identify the type of roach. There are three main types of roaches. German, American , and Oriental. There is a fourth that you could have which is a Brown Banded. At least that is the case in Missouri and most of the midwest. If its a Oriental or American they are what we call occasional invaders and would prefer to not be in the home. Treatment for those is different than German roaches. with German roaches you need a professional to take care of them if the infestation is significant. The reason is they breed rapidly, and the pesticides you can buy will not solve the long term issue only immediate gratification. whatever they do they should not ( bomb or fog as people call it since this will make the roaches spread out and increase their problem. It will take at least 2-3 professional treatments at best and if the infestation is bad as much as a year to solve the problem. We do an initial chemical treatment with two followups at two week intervals and then go quarterly to resolvethe problem. There are a few pests that yopu always need professional help with and roaches are one of them. If its a Oriental or American then you may have success by trying yourself. All in all you probably will spend more time and money trying to solve yourself then hiring it done. The last hing you want to do is overexpose children to pesticides as there can be long term health issues with that. There are many studies looking into that, and thats why professional help would be advisable. If cost is the issue see if you can get a Professional Pest Control Co. to donate their service. we do that on a regular basis.

• Susan M

i`ve had that problem 2 times and called an exterminator in and all he did was feed them so i was told to use boric acid around inside cabinets, base boards,under refrigators or anything that will produce heat make a line all around these areas they will cross it and take it back to their nest and will kill them all it does work. DON`T put it where children or pets can get at it.

• Keller Pest Control

Then you called the wrong exterminator. I had a broken arm and the doctor messed up. I went toi a different doctor. LOL

• Keller Pest Control

What you have to understand is the type of roach life cycle and materials needed to resolve it takes time. The tenant needs to assist by cleaning and it will take as long as a year of regular treatments.to resolve a bad infestation Especially since if they have roaches I would bet their housekeeping is suffering.

• Patricia B

I've been giving them your advice, just hope they don't come my way.

• Pam

Louisiana has been affflicted with German roaches since the biginning of time. However, we have something called Bengal Roach Spray and it works miracles. You can get it in a dry powder spray and it comes with a timy plastic straw taped to the can. Attach the straw to the spray tip and spray under the molding and under the kitchen cabinets and bathrooms. You will find dead roaches the next morning to vacumn up. I have seen homes where they were in the bottom of toasters, in VCR's, literally everywhere. I have never had a probles with them thank God. However, I am deathly affraid of large cochroaches (tree roaches). They will occassionally fly in at night when the doors are left open. Once a year I spray with Bengal Spray and even spray around the door sill and around the door molding outside the door. If I see one, it's belly up dead.It suggest spraying every 6 months but I have found it lasts much longer unless it's washed off. I believe it's made in Louisiana. Google it to find where to order it. If you're in LA it's sold at all stores and sells like crazy cause it works. There's nothing better.

• Charlynn B

In Fl I use Demon Wp which comes in small packets to be used with a pump up sprayer.I purchase this at Do-It-Yourself Pest Control.No roaches

• Pam

Demon Wp is recommended for carpenter bees, which are nearly impossible to conquer.

• New Era Pest Control

Demon works well for a number of applications and will kill German Roaches, however the places that you need to place the insecticide leaves residual in places that can come in contact with dishes and the likes. Not a good thing. In my years of doing German Roaches, using an IGR (Insect Growth Regulator) has been the most helpful. Think about it! If I can effect the roach so that it cannot molt into the adult stage, then eggs will not be laid. The eggs are what kill us as there are approx 45 babies in one ootheca (Egg). 10 ootheca's equal 450 babies. Growth regulator interrupts the breeding cycle, which is key to proper control. Now working on the exoskeleton of the insect with silica gels or Diatomaceous earth assists in killing the remaining roaches. Germans like to hide in cracks and crevices, touching 3 sides of their body. It is key to service cracks and crevices, hinges on the cabinet drawers, dusting appliances as they love the heat of the motors. They also LOVE wood! Things like wicker baskets are attractive to German Roaches. Knowledge is key. In my opinion, contacting a professional will save you alot of headaches. :) http://www.newerapestcontrol.com

• Sue Dague

Been using Demon WP for years for those nasty buggers. First spray will make a huge difference, Second spray must be used for total clean out. We also spray the entire perimeter of the house to make a barrier. No smell is a bonus. We get it at the local feed and seed.