Marilyn Highley
Marilyn Highley
  • Oklahoma City, OK

Old carpet glue removal

Diana DeileyMarlene HaighMarilyn Highley
+2

I just pulled up some old outdoor carpet that had originally been glued down. Some of it came up easily, some didn't. There is still glue and one layer of "backing fabric" (open weave, but coarse - like cheesecloth on steroids) stuck to the concrete in spots. How do I remove the glue and the little bit of fabric that is still stuck down? I have already scraped up everything that was loose.
q old carpet glue removal, flooring, reupholster
  • They make sharp pole scrapers you can purchase at the big box stores in the tile area. This tool can remove pretty much everything. It does take some time and can give you some blisters on your hands if you do not use this type of equipment on a daily basis, or you can rent a power scraper. Its a heavy machine on two wheels. On the front is an oscillating heavy duty putty knife of a tool that will make short work of removal of this material. The scraper moves in and out fairly quickly and because its on two wheels you simply raise and lower the scraper onto the floor by moving the handle up or down. We used this tool a lot to remove glue down padding, carpet, wood floors and tile. DO NOT use chemicals in attempt to dissolve and adhesive. While it may sound like a great idea, the chemicals will soak into the cement, can cause odors later on, can be unhealthy to breathe and may react to any other material you use in the future that you put down once stuff is removed.

• April E

you can rent a concrete sander and the job will be done in about 2 hours and it will leave a nice finish on your concrete this will also leave your concrete ready for staining if you chose to do so also remember to wear a mask no matter what you do you don't want to breath and concrete dust

• Marilyn Highley

Thanks, April. I do plan on painting the concrete after removing all the glue and other gunk. A mask is always a good idea, especially in our wind. I hope you weathered the storms last night. My power was off for about 15 hours, but all is well, otherwise.

• Marlene Haigh

your home improvement store will have adhesive removal to use on the residue. Check the flooring department

• Diana Deiley

I'm a little late following your segment, but would like to know how you made out. I've seen a lot of cement staining that looked fabulous. Just wondering what you did and are you happy with it. Thanks.