Evelyn McMullen
Evelyn McMullen
  • Montgomery, AL

Paint for outside furniture?

Evelyn McMullenThe Empty NestAccentuations!
+11

I want to paint a bench, what is the best kind of paint to use?
  • Jeffrey Whitmer

Depends on what the bench is made of. probably 100% Acrylic Resin

• Evelyn McMullen

bench is weathered wood

• The Paint Wagon

Hi Evelyn, 1st use an oil-based primer, such as Kilz or CoverStain(be sure the label reads interior/exterior or just exterior) then use an Exterior Latex paint (or spray paint, usually oil-based). If you really want to make it last, add a clear topcoat with a Spar Varnish (Satin, Semi or Gloss, whichever you prefer).

• Evelyn McMullen

Thanks.

• Debra

Believe it or not, I've used Cabot solid color deck paint with a lot of success on outdoor wood furniture. Their colors are great. And depending on the color I used, I add either clear top coat or a poly stain if I want to "antique" the piece. Never has failed me yet.

• Evelyn McMullen

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

• Accentuations!

Hello Evelyn! Just one quick tip for you. Behr paints (at Home Depot) makes a great new product called "Deckover" It is a product that will, with two coats, seal the weathered wood and then refresh with a great new color on the second. Good luck to you!

• Evelyn McMullen

Thank you Accentuations, I just was there & they didn't even mention that one. Told them it was weathered wood, they sold me Olympic acrylic. Maybe I'll take it back if I can find the receipt, darn I have every receipt but that one, nuts. Thanks to all.

• Teresa W

home Depot should give you credit if you take it back unopened and you are buying something there. They are pretty good about that!

• Evelyn McMullen

Thank you Teresa, I'll do that, couldn't find the receipt.

• Accentuations!

Hi again Evelyn! I agree with Teresa...Home Depot is usually much more cooperative than most...they won't even ask your blood type! They will no doubt exchange or issue you a store card...which is as good as cash. They have ways of verifying your purchase. They may not have mentioned the Deckover product because you are not painting a deck! Single vision there...Let us know how it goes! Sallie

• The Empty Nest

why Annie Sloan Chalk Paint ® decorative paint of course....no priming or sanding and it weathers the outdoor elements beautifuuly...no top coat needed!!!

• Evelyn McMullen

Well, I'd bought the pain at Lowe's, they wouldn't take it back. Will use one coat of it & get some Annie Sloan, I can get that locally, hooray. Thanks Janet.

• Evelyn McMullen

Thanks to all for the help. Now to just make myself get to work.