Our Vegetable Garden

Come tour our vegetable garden! We do have a large one, but we'd like to encourage everyone to get started growing some of your own food. Building a raised bed is a good way to start, or you can even grow a few things in containers. EVERYTHING tastes better when you grow it yourself.
This is what we harvested yesterday!
This is what we harvested yesterday!
We have 12 raised beds.
We have 12 raised beds.
We put landscaping fabric down before we planted our tomatoes, and look! No weeds!
We spray painted landscaping pots to bring some color into the garden.
We created a place to rest in the garden.
We've been getting some luscious strawberries this spring!
Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads

• Marcia Johnson

How did you prep the ground so the grass did not grow in your raised beds?

• Cynthia Holden

How did you prepare the above ground beds to keep out grass and weeds?

• The first year, we put thick cardboard in the bottom which helped deter the grass and weeds. Because we have grass growing around the beds now, we are constantly pulling the grass out.

• Karen J Scott

Why the tall posts?

• We use them for 2 reasons: in the late fall, we can attach covers to shield the produce for frosts to extend our growing season. And when we ran the irrigation system, we attached the pipes to one of the post in each bed. We have a blog post called "Don't hesitate to irrigate" if you'd like to see how we did that.

• Cindy Lovelace

I live in Texas where the sun is very hot and burns some of my plants early. I could use them to hold my shade cloths.
  • Allan Breslin

What was your soil mixture?

• Karen Evans

Why did you leave the posts long?

• Having the tall posts has really been an advantage. When frost threatens, we can attach tarps or covers to the posts to cover the crops. And when we added irrigation to the garden, we ran the plumbing up one of the posts in each bed to attach a spigot. Thanks for your question, Karen!

• Tan1781564

I love the interest it adds too
    • Dur15325938

Also gives you something to hold on to while bending over to pick up your bounty!