Rita S
Rita S
  • Melbourne, FL
Asked on Apr 14, 2012

What is this plant? Is my pot too small?

SandiGabrielle FalkBONNIE J
+36

bright green,trails,likes sun and water.fast growing
almost a succulent
q what is this plant mypot too small, flowers, gardening, succulents
38 of 38 answers
  • KMS Woodworks

The pot seems plenty big...it could be a Sedum or Aptenia

• Susan S

Whatever it is, it's very pretty. Are those teeny little orange blooms I'm seeing?

• Rita S

Thanks for the answers, but I'm still hoping for more ideas. Little yellow flowers on stems

• Sonia R

this would make pretty ground cover. And I say yes, it's too small

• Carol C

I believe I have this in my yard as ground cover. It is sedum and it flowers tiny yellow beautiful flowers. I also have it planted in a strawberry jar to come up every year. Very hearty and beautiful as a ground cover.

I agree that it looks like a type of sedum, possibly Sedum confusum. It looks good to me that full, but I suspect you could easily root cuttings for another pot.

• Cathy O

It looks like Iceplant, but not sure which type-I've seen it with pink flowers and red, also fuschia colored--spreads like mad and loves heat.

• Sharon Kay W

Yes,this is iceplant,just don't over-water;the leaves contain 'water'...Very pretty!

• Kate S

Does not look like ice plant to me - at least not like the kind of ice plant I have. Mine has banana shaped leaves - not rounded ones like this. Mine blooms purplish pink. It is a perennial succulent. Does remind me of a hanging plant I bought one year as an annual - it was some kind of Portulaca.

• Karla H

You can get this Sedum in a red leaf and it has a pink flower only bloom for a short time but makes a great ground cover all summer also if end brakes off just put in the dirt and it will grow

• Amanda K

I agree with Sharon. It looks like ice plant and in some areas can be very invasive as it has been here in California. I would image being a succulent it doesn't mind being compacted. Just don't plant it in the ground. It will take over.

• Valerie S

looks like portulaca to me.

• BONNIE J

Not like my Sedum!! At any rate, it loves it's pot just fine!!! Try taking in to a Nursery & ask there!

• Sandi K

Looks like some kind of Dorotheanthus to me, although not mezoo trailing red, as it has white edged leaves.

• Terri D

I agree with Amanda on this one. My sister has it in her yard and it has taken over her side yard. It's pretty when it blooms and it does take over. Don't know the name, it's her in CA in the bay area.

• Joann H

It just might be a moss. Looks like one I had called Candy Apple except my had red blooms. It was a ground cover or hanging baskets.

• Catherine S

It looks happy in its pot. could probably take cuttings off it.

• Leslie K

Aptenia for sure its a wonderful ground cover that grows fast!

• Margaret S

It is an aptenia/ice plant. A Perennial used as growun cover. I brought 6 few weeks ago full of pink blooms. The Pot is ok. Don't over water it or will rot the roots. Likes Sun.

• Beth H

hearts and flowers is what we always called that...is great ground cover, around tree wells...grows in any kind of soil We live in the desert and it gows well here.

• Sharon H

Ice Plant!

• Mellie C

I have some of these plants. They are Ice Plants, ground cover. The good thing about these plants, is that U can pinch a cutting from the plant, and with UR finger or a dowel, poke a hole and just plant them. They are easy to take care of and will take to most kinds of soil. I have given away so many of them and they are so easy. To be sure I went online and found the plant . Enjoy ur plant.

• Mellie C

By the way, the plant can be changed to a bigger pot, if U want, or U can leave it there until summer, which is almost here, it's the time they grow quite fast. Enjoy.

• Maureen A

plants often grow to the size of the pots they are in!

• Jo T

It is an aptenia also known as red apple or hearts and flowers. it will out grow your pot as it likes to spread. Great ground cover but I have seen them in hanging baskets. It usually has little red daisy like fowers but it does come in yellow also. Hope this helps.

• Mellie C

I went online to a National gardening place, to check online. One place has it as Ice plant, and other has it as Aptenia Cordifolia. So who is right & who is wrong is something I don't know. Some had pictures, and some didn't.. Here"s one picture.

Mellie, Aptenia cordifolia is the Latin name for that variety of ice plant. Some people may mean a completely different plant when they say ice plant, which is why I prefer giving the Latin names when possible.

• Jan

You & me both! Every part of the nation has different names for plants. I live in Italy now, & thank goodness for Latin genus & species!

• KMS Woodworks

long live Carolus Linnaeus...well actually he died ages ago (1778) but his system lives on. Binomial Nomenclature

• DORLIS

whatever it is, it is a succulent.

• Meem Kaplan

Very attractive plant! I shall be looking for one now!

• DORLIS

Now I remember I used to have one. Think I klilled it with too much water. Have learned better now.

• Jo T

This plant is called Aptenia also known as Red Apple, Baby rose or hearts and flowers. Very popular succulent. Easy to grow as long as you do not over water. Great for hanging baskets and also used as a ground cover. Afternoon shade in low desert areas and protect from frost. The one in the picture has yellow flowers but there is also one with red flowers which is the most popular.

• Alberto N Irene Nazar

If you like it in that pot just leave it. We call it "ice plant". Just break off some and stick in a new pot to make more, and once established needs very little water. Also comes in red, pink, and purple.

• Sue Kiene

It appears to be just fine in that pot but if you are intending to let it be huge then maybe go a little larger while it is this sign.

• BONNIE J

BEAUTIFUL, I LOVE IT! WHAT ZONE?

• Gabrielle Falk

What colour are the flowers? I had a plant somewhat similar in looks to yours in a hanging pot in the kitchen. The flowers were orange. There is also a nuisance plant called 'wandering Jew' (don't know botanical name) which can be a real pest. Check with your local nursery just to make sure you are not planting something that will take over your garden. (from Sydney Aust.)

• Sandi

portulaca