Refinishing Wood Floors and Restyling Spaces

Refinishing wood floors can be a daunting task, especially when you're living in the midst of it. By inserting myself into my project, I minimized the stress this could have caused, and was inspired to restyle my spaces afterward, mostly with existing items. (See more photos at blog post link).
Before:  floors scarred, faded
Before: floors scarred, faded
Prepping:  taping openings in the family area
Prepping: taping openings in the family area
Prepping:  storing the furniture
Prepping: storing the furniture
In progress:  sanding complete
In progress: sanding complete
After:  Floors finished, area restyled
After: Floors finished, area restyled
After:  Floors finished, area restyled
After: Floors finished, area restyled
Rita C. - Panoply

• Susan Ivey

I am going to do something to the plywood floor in my bedroom and bathroom. Grandchild flooded 3 yrs.ago. Paint; varnish or vinyl?

• Rita C. - Panoply

This is tough one for me to answer individually, Susan, but I like the idea of painting. What I WOULD do if I were you, though, is ask this question to the entire Hometalk community......you will get tons of answers, with pros and cons from many, many members! Good luck!

• Rita C. - Panoply

And the way you ask a question of the community is to go to the Hometalk home page, and at the top of the page you should see "? Ask Question". That is where you would type in (or copy and paste) the same question you posed here. Again, Good Luck!

• Bonalyn Baker

How do you refinish wood floors when the wood is laid in a pattern form?

• Rita C. - Panoply

I really don't know the answer to that question, Bonalyn, and it's better left to a professional. There are many professionals within the Hometalk network, and I bet if you ask your question (top menu bar), it will broadcast to a wider network than just those who may be viewing this post. Chances are you'll get answers from the professionals. Hope this helps point you in the right direction!

• Tom Kalinoski

What finish and stain did you use and how many coats were required?

• Rita C. - Panoply

@Tom Kalinoski, we hired our floors refinished professionally, so I will respond as best I know. Our stairs did not need refinished, so we tried to match the floors as closely as possible to the finish already in place. What we settled on was a mix of colors labeled Jacobean and Dark Walnut for the stain (I did not note the brand), in a 75/25 ratio, after a couple of sample mixes. Our finisher is Russian, and he used only one coat of the stain, one coat of the finish (he claimed proprietary use of his European technique). It is almost three years old, and is holding up extremely well. We use only vinegar/water to clean.