Grandma's Big Beast Washing Machine... Yes or No?

+104
My uncle emailed me the other day, asking if I was interested in taking in Grandma's old washing machine.
This thing is BIG. And I don't have much room. Yet I'm drawn to the challenge. It evokes so many memories it isn't funny. But ACK! Not sure.. my house just isn't very big.
Would you take it in? What would you do with it? Chime in!
q grandma s big beast washing machine yes or no, appliances, repurposing upcycling, A tad jetson like isn t it Now what could this thing actually DO I like productive junk if possible
A tad jetson like, isn't it? Now what could this thing actually DO? I like productive junk if possible...
q grandma s big beast washing machine yes or no, appliances, repurposing upcycling, I d bet it weights 80 000 tons too Love that it s white though total bonus
I'd bet it weights 80,000 tons too! Love that it's white though... total bonus.
  • Kathy R Kathy R on May 31, 2013
    I am probably the WORST person to give my answer - I have a hard time saying no! My sister-in-law's aunt has one in her carport I keep looking at.
  • haha @Kathy R!!! I'll take on the challenge if you will! We can compare notes! LOL
  • Hi Donna, I would love to have one of these! One of my blog readers added mosiac tiles to hers and turned it into a little pond - here the photo: http://www.empressofdirt.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/RGASuzannesmosaicwasher1.jpg Lots of possiblities!
  • Kathy R Kathy R on May 31, 2013
    just wondering?! Can you make an ice chest out of it?
  • Barb Rosen Barb Rosen on May 31, 2013
    Mega- planter!!!
  • Lori J Lori J on May 31, 2013
    Or a planter? Full of cheery red geraniums with vines of some sort. May an old washboard stuck into it. Man, you will be so sorry you asked. ;-)
  • Kathi Gentry Martin Kathi Gentry Martin on May 31, 2013
    Do you have a back porch for it to be on?
  • Melissa Melissa on May 31, 2013
    I had one when I was first married. I loved washing with it. I think I was born in the wrong era. lol
  • S. Ulmen F S. Ulmen F on May 31, 2013
    Used a machine like this many years ago at our camp! At least once a week that machine worked great too! Weird but would not mind using one again! Not sure what I would do with yours maybe if you have a deck a neat planter or cooler for a party?
  • Gail Salminen Gail Salminen on May 31, 2013
    @FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna you should take for the nostalgia alone. You are so amazing at repurposing things I am sure it would turn out fantastic. I would take it in a flash as focal point for the garden - so many things you could do to the outside as well as add hangons - love it. Please share the results :)
  • Eva Baldridge Eva Baldridge on Jun 01, 2013
    I had one of these. As a child my mother had one. I used mine until I got my first automatic washer everyday. Then it was the best rug washer in the world! If it still works and you have a covered back porch or a out building, I would use it as a heavy duty washer for rugs or things you can not wash in your regular washer. They are the best. CAUTION: These are dangerous around children as they can get hands/fingers rolled in the ringers! I did as a child. My sister did when she was 16. An ex sister-N-law got her breast in the ringer when she bent over to catch her ring when it fell in the tub! Thank God there were people there to pull the plug!
  • Kay H Kay H on Jun 01, 2013
    I would put a little bubbler in it and make it a birdbath for my deck..I would love to have one.
  • Kayteelou Kayteelou on Jun 01, 2013
    I would take it in a heart beat. Oh yes, I live in Ohio.
  • James Bryan C James Bryan C on Jun 01, 2013
    I would make a drink cooler out of it... Spray some foam Insulation between the tub and outer wall... paint it Coca Cola Red maybe an artist could reproduce the coke emblem.. all you would need then is some Ice and a case of drinks.. the drain tub would serve it's original function to drain the icewater away
  • Sumaya Warwick Sumaya Warwick on Jun 01, 2013
    Don't know the height but it could make an awesome, quirky stool/barstool. Remove the lid and insert a padded, upholstered seat. You can freshen up the outer with some spray paint!
  • Dawn Dawn on Jun 01, 2013
    I would have it sandblasted , paint it n put flowers n vines in it. I paint n would paint a scene around it.
  • Kathie taylor Kathie taylor on Jun 01, 2013
    LOVE IT!!!! I would take in a heartbeat! My Grandmaother used it, but it belonged to my Mom. Then I used one at an apartment I lived in. I agree with Dawn...but I would see if I could find a pot/tray insert for the flowers. Probably invert a pot for it to rest on inside. I would leave it white like Mom's and all the rest of that era. Please let us know what you do...if nothing else sell it on Craig's list!!!!
  • Kelly S Kelly S on Jun 01, 2013
    I agree with everybody else, it would be a really cool planter or drink cooler.
  • Andrea R Andrea R on Jun 01, 2013
    I've also seen them used as planter boxes ,some pretty geraniums, pansies,assorted flowers. sanded down and put a fresh coat of white or a beautiful buttermilk yellow or dusty rose or leave it rustic. also add a cute little vintage tea towel through the rolls or hang over it,whats neat to let your imagination fly,anything goes! have fun with it!
  • Diana Busey Diana Busey on Jun 01, 2013
    I have one that I am going to put on my back porch and add flowers
  • Annette White Annette White on Jun 01, 2013
    I'd grab it myself, but I'm like that. You can fill the tub with ice and use it for drinks, for a party or I would more likely fill it with soil and plant hanging, viney plants in it. Cute, so many options!!
  • Kathleen M Kathleen M on Jun 01, 2013
    Not sure what I would do with it (so many ideas) but I would DEFINITELY take it!
  • Thelma H Thelma H on Jun 01, 2013
    I visited a friends home one time in Vermont and she had one in the living room with spider plants, etc pots sitting in side of it .....I loved it and always thought it would be cool to do that. I think planting directly into it would be a mess. Yes, I caught my arm in the wringer as a child also. Monday was wash day.
  • SicilianMa SicilianMa on Jun 01, 2013
    You can get a small water pump and design layers that will go above the top of tub for gentle water fall effect and can either stagger plants or add some stones with water plants. On a funny note, fill with gold fish and let the kids go fishing. Don't pass up this opportunity. Sometimes it takes time to brainstorm something wonderful. You will know when it comes to mind. All the best with this project. Keep us posted.
  • Cathy C Cathy C on Jun 01, 2013
    If it still worked, I'd take it in a minute and use it for its original intention! Best washer I ever had was my old wringer and would love to have another!
  • BONNIE J BONNIE J on Jun 01, 2013
    IT'S BEEN WELL USED--NEEDS SOME TLC! SOME GOOD IDEAS.
  • Jessica C Jessica C on Jun 01, 2013
    Absolutely! It would make an awesome planter in your garden!
  • Debra Peters Debra Peters on Jun 01, 2013
    Definitely take it - figure out what to do with it after it's in your life. Don't think I would repaint it - but that's because I like the grungy. Planter, fountain, cooler - just don't try to clean a bunny in it - doesn't work! (I know from experience! lol)
  • Gretta G Gretta G on Jun 01, 2013
    great outdoor water feature or planter!!!
  • Sue Weiker Sue Weiker on Jun 01, 2013
    I'd cover the whole thing in mosaic or colored glass beads in a nice pattern, and put it in the garden with plants
  • Janet McFadin Janet McFadin on Jun 01, 2013
    yes take it......what a wonderful thing! If you don't want it can I have it ?? Lol
  • Riggs Laughlin Riggs Laughlin on Jun 01, 2013
    Wonderful janet you would have tell sue to give it out freely lol
  • Sandra T Sandra T on Jun 01, 2013
    My Mother and Grandmother used these, really gets the job done. I would take it and figure out something to do with it later.Use it has a clothes hamper in the meantime!
  • Nancy Hatcher Nancy Hatcher on Jun 01, 2013
    I love Debra's idea of a cooler. What a great way to have a bbq with ice in it and loaded with sodas, beer, etc.
  • Patty Patty on Jun 01, 2013
    I have one that I made into a planter. FYI-it sits in front of my clothesline LOL
  • Pat Mozer Pat Mozer on Jun 02, 2013
    It reminds me of R2 D2 from Star Wars. But bigger.
  • A1tec service A1tec service on Jun 03, 2013
    NOT A COOLER NOT FLOWER POT FIT IT UP TO WERE IT WORKS sale it or keep it it win fix up it could sale from 200 to 500.00 i've sold one two years for 400.00
  • Marie S Marie S on Jun 03, 2013
    it would be a keeper for me in case my washer break down.
  • Donna S Donna S on Jun 03, 2013
    I sold my old one to the Maytag guy and wish I hadn't..I used it for rugs and big blankets...Now I go to a laundrymat for that stuff...I really miss it more than I thought I would..LOL
  • Donna S Donna S on Jun 03, 2013
    I kept mine outside and it never hurt it..
  • KathrynElizabeth Etier KathrynElizabeth Etier on Jun 03, 2013
    How could you turn it down? I would use it outside as a planter.
  • Andrea R Andrea R on Jun 04, 2013
    how about a water fountain! with waterfall ,sitting in a garden of flowers and pavers and little fairies,and all kinds of stuff,lol!
  • Barbara Weatherly Barbara Weatherly on Jun 04, 2013
    I have a couple of chest of drawers I would like to turn into a storage chest how?
  • BONNIE J BONNIE J on Jun 04, 2013
    COULD ALSO BE TURNED SIDEWAYS WITH A FOUNTAIN OF FLOWERS CASCADING FROM THE OPENING!! WHEN I HAD MY 1ST BABY, 48 YRS AGO, WE LIVED IN A 3 RD FLOOR SUITE--NO LAUNDRY FACILITIES--WASHING BY HAND. MY DAD BROT IN MY GRAN'S OLD OIL LEAKING WRINGER WASHER FROM 4 HRS AWAY TO USE. I LATER GOT A HOUSE & WASHED FOR US--2 BABIES BY THEN & 5 BOARDERS!! CAN U IMAGINE? DID A FINE JOB TOO, EXCEPT 4 THE GREASE LEAKING OUT!!
  • Jeannie Scott Jeannie Scott on Jun 05, 2013
    I follow Tony Turner on HT and he has a pic of his grandmother's old washing machine with a story of his childhood remembering growing up watching his Gram use the washer. He has it planted with beautiful flowers and it is great!!!! Take a look at his profile.
  • Pam Perkins Zirbel Pam Perkins Zirbel on Jun 05, 2013
    That is just crazy gorgeousness!!!! I certainly hope you DID take this!!!