Grandma's Big Beast Washing Machine... Yes or No?

Em13526476Stephanie corley
+100

My uncle emailed me the other day, asking if I was interested in taking in Grandma's old washing machine.
This thing is BIG. And I don't have much room. Yet I'm drawn to the challenge. It evokes so many memories it isn't funny. But ACK! Not sure.. my house just isn't very big.
Would you take it in? What would you do with it? Chime in!
A tad jetson like, isn't it? Now what could this thing actually DO? I like productive junk if possible...
I'd bet it weights 80,000 tons too! Love that it's white though... total bonus.
  • Kathy R

I am probably the WORST person to give my answer - I have a hard time saying no! My sister-in-law's aunt has one in her carport I keep looking at.

• haha @Kathy R!!! I'll take on the challenge if you will! We can compare notes! LOL

• Empress of Dirt - Melissa

Hi Donna, I would love to have one of these! One of my blog readers added mosiac tiles to hers and turned it into a little pond - here the photo: http://www.empressofdirt.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/RGASuzannesmosaicwasher1.jpg Lots of possiblities!

• Kathy R

just wondering?! Can you make an ice chest out of it?

• Barb Rosen

Mega- planter!!!

• Lori J

Or a planter? Full of cheery red geraniums with vines of some sort. May an old washboard stuck into it. Man, you will be so sorry you asked. ;-)

• Kathi Gentry Martin

Do you have a back porch for it to be on?

• Melissa

I had one when I was first married. I loved washing with it. I think I was born in the wrong era. lol

• S. Ulmen F

Used a machine like this many years ago at our camp! At least once a week that machine worked great too! Weird but would not mind using one again! Not sure what I would do with yours maybe if you have a deck a neat planter or cooler for a party?

• Gail Salminen

@FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna you should take for the nostalgia alone. You are so amazing at repurposing things I am sure it would turn out fantastic. I would take it in a flash as focal point for the garden - so many things you could do to the outside as well as add hangons - love it. Please share the results :)

• Eva Baldridge

I had one of these. As a child my mother had one. I used mine until I got my first automatic washer everyday. Then it was the best rug washer in the world! If it still works and you have a covered back porch or a out building, I would use it as a heavy duty washer for rugs or things you can not wash in your regular washer. They are the best. CAUTION: These are dangerous around children as they can get hands/fingers rolled in the ringers! I did as a child. My sister did when she was 16. An ex sister-N-law got her breast in the ringer when she bent over to catch her ring when it fell in the tub! Thank God there were people there to pull the plug!

• Kay H

I would put a little bubbler in it and make it a birdbath for my deck..I would love to have one.

• Kayteelou

I would take it in a heart beat. Oh yes, I live in Ohio.

• James Bryan C

I would make a drink cooler out of it... Spray some foam Insulation between the tub and outer wall... paint it Coca Cola Red maybe an artist could reproduce the coke emblem.. all you would need then is some Ice and a case of drinks.. the drain tub would serve it's original function to drain the icewater away

• Sumaya Warwick

Don't know the height but it could make an awesome, quirky stool/barstool. Remove the lid and insert a padded, upholstered seat. You can freshen up the outer with some spray paint!

• Dawn

I would have it sandblasted , paint it n put flowers n vines in it. I paint n would paint a scene around it.

• Kathie taylor

LOVE IT!!!! I would take in a heartbeat! My Grandmaother used it, but it belonged to my Mom. Then I used one at an apartment I lived in. I agree with Dawn...but I would see if I could find a pot/tray insert for the flowers. Probably invert a pot for it to rest on inside. I would leave it white like Mom's and all the rest of that era. Please let us know what you do...if nothing else sell it on Craig's list!!!!

• Kelly S

I agree with everybody else, it would be a really cool planter or drink cooler.

• Andrea R

I've also seen them used as planter boxes ,some pretty geraniums, pansies,assorted flowers. sanded down and put a fresh coat of white or a beautiful buttermilk yellow or dusty rose or leave it rustic. also add a cute little vintage tea towel through the rolls or hang over it,whats neat to let your imagination fly,anything goes! have fun with it!

• Diana Busey

I have one that I am going to put on my back porch and add flowers

• Annette White

I'd grab it myself, but I'm like that. You can fill the tub with ice and use it for drinks, for a party or I would more likely fill it with soil and plant hanging, viney plants in it. Cute, so many options!!

• Kathleen M

Not sure what I would do with it (so many ideas) but I would DEFINITELY take it!

• Thelma H

I visited a friends home one time in Vermont and she had one in the living room with spider plants, etc pots sitting in side of it .....I loved it and always thought it would be cool to do that. I think planting directly into it would be a mess. Yes, I caught my arm in the wringer as a child also. Monday was wash day.

• SicilianMa

You can get a small water pump and design layers that will go above the top of tub for gentle water fall effect and can either stagger plants or add some stones with water plants. On a funny note, fill with gold fish and let the kids go fishing. Don't pass up this opportunity. Sometimes it takes time to brainstorm something wonderful. You will know when it comes to mind. All the best with this project. Keep us posted.

• Cathy C

If it still worked, I'd take it in a minute and use it for its original intention! Best washer I ever had was my old wringer and would love to have another!

• BONNIE J

IT'S BEEN WELL USED--NEEDS SOME TLC! SOME GOOD IDEAS.

• Jessica C

Absolutely! It would make an awesome planter in your garden!

• Debra Peters

Definitely take it - figure out what to do with it after it's in your life. Don't think I would repaint it - but that's because I like the grungy. Planter, fountain, cooler - just don't try to clean a bunny in it - doesn't work! (I know from experience! lol)

• Gretta G

great outdoor water feature or planter!!!

• Sue Weiker

I'd cover the whole thing in mosaic or colored glass beads in a nice pattern, and put it in the garden with plants

• Janet McFadin

yes take it......what a wonderful thing! If you don't want it can I have it ?? Lol

• Riggs Laughlin

Wonderful janet you would have tell sue to give it out freely lol

• Sandra T

My Mother and Grandmother used these, really gets the job done. I would take it and figure out something to do with it later.Use it has a clothes hamper in the meantime!

• Nancy Hatcher

I love Debra's idea of a cooler. What a great way to have a bbq with ice in it and loaded with sodas, beer, etc.

• Patty

I have one that I made into a planter. FYI-it sits in front of my clothesline LOL

• Pat Mozer

It reminds me of R2 D2 from Star Wars. But bigger.

• A1tec service

NOT A COOLER NOT FLOWER POT FIT IT UP TO WERE IT WORKS sale it or keep it it win fix up it could sale from 200 to 500.00 i've sold one two years for 400.00

• Marie S

it would be a keeper for me in case my washer break down.

• Donna S

I sold my old one to the Maytag guy and wish I hadn't..I used it for rugs and big blankets...Now I go to a laundrymat for that stuff...I really miss it more than I thought I would..LOL

• Donna S

I kept mine outside and it never hurt it..

• KathrynElizabeth Etier

How could you turn it down? I would use it outside as a planter.

• Andrea R

how about a water fountain! with waterfall ,sitting in a garden of flowers and pavers and little fairies,and all kinds of stuff,lol!

• Barbara Weatherly

I have a couple of chest of drawers I would like to turn into a storage chest how?

• BONNIE J

COULD ALSO BE TURNED SIDEWAYS WITH A FOUNTAIN OF FLOWERS CASCADING FROM THE OPENING!! WHEN I HAD MY 1ST BABY, 48 YRS AGO, WE LIVED IN A 3 RD FLOOR SUITE--NO LAUNDRY FACILITIES--WASHING BY HAND. MY DAD BROT IN MY GRAN'S OLD OIL LEAKING WRINGER WASHER FROM 4 HRS AWAY TO USE. I LATER GOT A HOUSE & WASHED FOR US--2 BABIES BY THEN & 5 BOARDERS!! CAN U IMAGINE? DID A FINE JOB TOO, EXCEPT 4 THE GREASE LEAKING OUT!!

• Jeannie Scott

I follow Tony Turner on HT and he has a pic of his grandmother's old washing machine with a story of his childhood remembering growing up watching his Gram use the washer. He has it planted with beautiful flowers and it is great!!!! Take a look at his profile.

• Pam Perkins Zirbel

That is just crazy gorgeousness!!!! I certainly hope you DID take this!!!

• Pam Perkins Zirbel

OH!! And make it into a fryer!!

• Cathy M

YES!!!

• SicilianMa

The suspence is killing me. Since we all want you to keep the machine I want to know if you have made a decision. :D

• Andrea R

we want to know,whats the verdict? lol

• A1tec service

jif you save it and fix it up win you did your wash run them on the roller this would take out a lot of water and cut down almost 1/2 the dryer time that wy it on it

• Joanne McMullen

How about an outdoor ice chest?

• Cathy B

My first thought was to make a liner for it and use it for parties as a cooler. Love it!

• BONNIE J

Speaking from experience--those ''old'' rollers may not get out much water!! u got lots of replies, for sure!!

• Nancy Hinds

Yard Art...Keep the roller on the top and grow a trailing white flowering plant that may look like overflowing bubbles. Add some small globes like refecting balls to look like bubbles in the top!

• Bonnie G

Absolutely take it. With your talent and ideas I am looking forward to when you pin it!!! I can picture all the ideas just running through your head. I would stick it on the front lawn as a planter just to upset the HOA :)

• Deanna Riles-Cox

Yard art full of flowers

• Sharon

Think you're just teasing us... YESSSS! of course you want it... can NOT WAIT to see what you do w/ it... I vote plants and in the yard,P.S. IF you don't keep it DIBS!

• No tease @Sharon , I was really scratching my head on this one! Another family member wanted it more than I so that is where it is going as far as I've heard. If she doesn't take it, I may attempt. I just don't want to see it at some land fill! :)

• Karen Prescher

I have 2 of them. I use them as planters outside. They look so pretty with flowers spilling out of them, down the sides! Take it girl!!!!!

• Tracy Chamberlin

Make it into an outdoor sink with a drain tray

• TJ

I have a square one waiting to be sealed for outdoor use. I love the idea of using it for a water feature. But if this works I would definitely keep it to use. When my oldest was born I used it to soak and wash her cloth diapers (disposables were too expensive for us). Because you control the soak and wash length, it will get things white that is impossible in an automatic washer. would be great for blankets and other big stuff.

• Shari Baker

I took one similar from my grandparents old farmhouse, and repurposed it into a snowman for the front of my business. Check out photo on facebook/finderskeepers.

• Mary C

I'll take it if you don't want it....would pay to have it shipped....my mamma used one of these and i can remember helping run the clothes through the ringer! i would love to have one!!!!! :)

• BONNIE J

MARY--NOW THERE'S ONE HECK OF A GOOD OFFER!

• Teresa

yes!! take it!!

• Pearl Doubleday

Take it. Take it. Makes a great planter for the front yard. Wish I had one.

• Thank-you EVERYONE for your thoughtful replies! I was ready to give it a whirl when another family member wanted it more than me. I'm good with that! But wow, what a wonderful collection of ideas for anyone else landing one of these! Thanks ever so much! But I'll admit, I was hesitating. I wasn't sure I wanted to look at it. I'm glad I never had to make the final decision. LOL

• Gail Salminen

@FunkyJunk Interiors - Donna how thoughtful and unselfish of you. I would have done the same. Family is so important and you have demonstrated that they mean a lot to you :)

• Andrea R

it was so generous of you to give it up. Sometimes it is better for the soul to give something that you know someone else wants,and also since its in the family,you'll get a chance to see it in its new use. you're a good person for doing that!

• Kat Davis-Moran

awesome planters is what I see

• Judy Wootan

Looks like a great place to ice down your Coca-colas for an outdoor bar-b-que. :)

• Rose Westmoreland

Turn it into a cooler and have powder paint on it so you can leave it outdoors. Would be so cool! If you get a spill crank the wet item thru the wringer!

• Kelly S

Who knows, you may get it from the other family member later. What a lovely piece of family history!

• Mona$

Take it! Take it! Take it! Even if you put it on the porch with a potted plant in it, I think you'll be glad you did. There are so many things of my mom's that I wish I had kept.

• Bobbi sensenig

I WOULD TAKE IT IN A HEARTBEAT

• Shirley Bailey

My mom had a wringer washing machine & I had one years ago & you never had one to go out on you like the new ones do. You could wash those clothes as long as you wanted to & they got my clothes so clean but they are a lot of work but if someone offered me one I don't know where I would put it.

• Terri

My mother finally had to give up her wringer washer after 56 years because no one could find parts for it. Growing up that was the only washer I ever used, and it always did a great job, but the finger pinches from the wringer were scary! Glad someone in your family can still use it, either as it is or repurposed ala the many super ideas listed above.

• Fenya Kashergen

in my hippy days, I used the old button buster a lot. When I was ready to join the washing machine co-op, I sold it to a potter who used it to agitate slip for his work. Good times.

• Mamamojoe Moore

I would take it and wash clothes on my porch dont have back porch but side porch fine and then hang them outside like i did as a child teen then mom now i am 73 yrs old and memories are sso wonderful granny would be proud of me thanks for the offer so many fun fun memories oh an my daughter remembers to at 14 yrs ol now is 51 so see very valuable in hearts and miinds thanks again for the moments.

• Stormie Remus

OH MY GOSH!! I'm so jealous. It's beautiful. I would plant flowers in containers and put in top.

• Kathy Sperling

I would POWDER COAT PAINT IF POSSIBLE even if this is not available I would still paint it , then turn it into a planter in the yard . I would NOT throw away any parts that you take off to accomidate using the washer as a planter .

• Robby Treichel

It looks just like my Grandmother's old washer. I don't know what happened to it but would love to take yours off your hands!

• Terra Gazelle

Me too..(I would use it for flowers) Looks like a great planter to me.
    I have used an old wheel barrow, an old kitchen sink, a bird bath, an old horse water trough....oh and several boots that here in Louisiana we call cajun Reeboks...old holey white rubber boots.

If it will hold dirt ..plant it.
  • Martha jayne siprut

IT WOULD MAKE THE MOST WONDERFUL ICE CHEST FOR YOUR SUMMER DRINKS! YOU SHOULD PAINT IT A GREAT COLOUR OR JUST SEAL IT... LUCKY YOU☆☆☆
  • Joan

Paint it silver apply some weird eyes and antena. set it on porch or lawn.
  • PRESIDENTSAC

Based on your comments it might not be operating. I can't believe pasrts can't be made or found, but anyway I would use it to dye fabrics.
  • White Oak Studio Designs

I love these situated in the garden planted (in an area that has tall plants around it) filled with with colorful and draping over plants. So funky and so fun!!
  • Ani13089233

Such a sweet memory "machine"! Silly Sentimental me, I couldn't bear to put it outside in the elements as a planter. But maybe on a porch so I could see it often. Use as a catch all for umbrellas, throw wet coats, beach towel, etc across?
  • Johnni

I would paint it ,a bright pretty color ,remove insides,place right by my small outdoor clothes line ,fill with favorite flowers and trailing vine, something to make you smile every time you go outside.maybe put a small bench at the side to set your clothes basket on when you are hanging or taking down your laundry ,
  • Cartwrightd

I would spray paint it a bright color, line the tub if necessary and use it outside as a beer cooler.
  • Robby Treichel

All of these suggestions are interesting, but if you are prepping for a possible disaster, like I am, you might find this item to be exactly what you need,
    if we end up without power for an extended period of time. Even if the washer no longer works, you could still use the wringer part to wring out hand washed clothing and towels, etc.
  • Lucy Marie Bernier

My mom had something like that. Where the ringer is devise a board / small table like. Use the rest of it as a rolling ice bucket for the outside?
  • F H Young

Still use grandma's wringer washer, gets the clothes clean and doesn't use half the water the newer wash machines use.
  • Lisa Petersen

I ran my arm through the wringer on my great grandmother's when I was very young - glad your memories are more pleasant, lol!
  • Paula Hodges

scrub it out really well and put a couple of gold fish in there.. you would need shade and something to aerate the water since it is a small are and would go stagnant and hot if out in the sun.... but what a conversation starter!! you can get solar power cells that would easily power a small pump.
  • Donna Sides

I would chalk paint it and seal it and use it as a cooler...,in the winter u could use it to store your garden houses
  • Stephanie corley

A cooler or planter and leave on a cover patio or porch.
  • 13526476

I would so use it for its original intent if it worked...So environmentally friendly and the cleanest laundry ever! If it doesn't work, take it any way and play with the ideas...I love the planter ideas especially.
  • Em

If nothing else.....the inside tub make amazing planters, especially the old porcelain spackled ones. It takes a bit of dismantling but they already have the drain holes and look great in the front yard. I takes a bit of dismantling but parts of it including the legs can be used for different projects.